• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Northern Italy

LuckyGirl

Hi,

My husband and I have decided to take a last minute trip from the states to visit my sister in Montreux, Switzerland.

Part of the time that we'll be visiting my sister will have a full house with some friends visiting from the states so my husband and I have decided to take a small trip into Italy for a few days (leave Friday return Sunday most likely).

Could anyone please help me with choosing a destination? Last trip we visited the village of Aosta so we would like to choose a different place this trip. We don't mind travelling a little further than D'Aosta. Things that will help me choose a destination are noteworthy food events or food/agricultural destinations of note and noteworthy but modest accomodations.

Thank you in advance for any and all assitance you can offer me. I don't feel as though I have enough time to do much research on my own given that we will be leaving in a few days.

LuckyGirl

I have narrowed it down to Bellagio on Lake Como or Baveno or Verbania on Lake Maggiore.

I have read through the posts that relate to these areas and if anyone has more info specific to these three towns I would be much obliged.

Thanks,

LuckyGirl

My favorite city in Northern Italy is a small place called Bassano del Grappa (6 Hour Drive). It is near Vicenza although the lake areas you mentioned are much closer of a drive for you.

I would also recommend a place called Monguelfo (6 1/2 Hour Drive), very close to the Austrian border.