• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vacio-The Argentinian Steak

Miami Danny

I'm having a hard time convincing people that the Argentinian 'vacio' steak can not be part hanger steak and part flank steak. In Argentinian parlance, vacio usually refers to 'flap' meat, or 'flap' steak, which is cut from the flank. Hanger is cut from the plate. Would it be possible to have a steak that is "part hanger and part flank"? I'm having a hard time believing that I might be incorrect, but I guess there is always that possibility. Any takers?

I've always thought that hangar steak was kind of self-contained, i.e. not cut from the plate or the flank, but kind of just "hanging" there on its own.

nunc est bibendum...

I'm having a hard time convincing people that the Argentinian 'vacio' steak can not be part hanger steak and part flank steak.  In Argentinian parlance, vacio usually refers to 'flap' meat, or 'flap' steak, which is cut from the flank.  Hanger is cut from the plate.  Would it be possible to have a steak that is "part hanger and part flank"?  I'm having a hard time believing that I might be incorrect, but I guess there is always that possibility.  Any takers?

Flap meat is cut from the loin, not the flank. It sits in the middle of the fat cap on the loin.

Flank and hangar are 2 completely different whole muscles so no it is not possible that vacio is part hanger, part flank.

If it is indeed just flap meat then it comes from up by the loin ... a great distance from either flank or hanger.

I'm having a hard time convincing people that the Argentinian 'vacio' steak can not be part hanger steak and part flank steak.  In Argentinian parlance, vacio usually refers to 'flap' meat, or 'flap' steak, which is cut from the flank.  Hanger is cut from the plate.  Would it be possible to have a steak that is "part hanger and part flank"?  I'm having a hard time believing that I might be incorrect, but I guess there is always that possibility.  Any takers?

Flap meat is cut from the loin, not the flank. It sits in the middle of the fat cap on the loin.

Flank and hangar are 2 completely different whole muscles so no it is not possible that vacio is part hanger, part flank.

If it is indeed just flap meat then it comes from up by the loin ... a great distance from either flank or hanger.

"Flank and hangar are 2 completely different whole muscles so no it is not possible that vacio is part hanger, part flank."

Can I get an amen on that?

"Flank and hangar are 2 completely different whole muscles so no it is not possible that vacio is part hanger, part flank."

Can I get an amen on that?

AMEN, brother! Testify to deliciousness!