• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paris: It's most well-known drink?

evo-lution

I guess it kind of depends...do you mean its most well known drink as in the drink most associated with Paris (i think a similar question was asked in response to the national drinks thread)? Or what most parisians drink?

I see where you're going with the bloody mary and side car, but I wouldn't say that either of them are what most people associate with paris - or drink in Paris. (but, yes, I understand that both are reputed to have been invented in Paris) So - maybe it's drinks that were invented in Paris?

Parisians don't seem to be super big cocktail drinkers...so if it's what people actually drink, something like pernod or ricard (although I also like the romantic absinthe drip, but don't know many people who indulge in that frequently)

Perhaps champagne if it's a matter of what people world-wide associate with Paris (and, yes, I'm aware that Paris isn't actually in Champagne...but I'm just talking about what people think of drink-wise when they think of Paris) Kirs? which everyone seems to associate with France in general.

And, really, I'd have to say the most well know drink in Paris (if we're just talking drinks & not cocktails, etc) is wine!

Hopefully Ptipois will get on here and give us some information because she always seems to know the answers to these kinds of questions!

Edited by Forest (log)

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

And two other things I see ordered frequently are things like Diabolos & Monacos. (and I'm not sure that I think that's something associated world-wide with Paris, but it is something I personally associat with Paris - anyone else?)

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

I guess it kind of depends...do you mean its most well known drink as in the drink most associated with Paris (i think a similar question was asked in response to the national drinks thread)?  Or what most parisians drink?

I see where you're going with the bloody mary and side car, but I wouldn't say that  either of them are what most people associate with paris - or drink in Paris.  (but, yes, I understand that both are reputed to have been invented in Paris)  So - maybe it's drinks that were invented in Paris?

I guess this is really an extension of the 'national drinks' thread, and came about as I couldn't pin down a particular drink to France (more-so Paris). I don't think it's so much what Parisiennes drink, but more the mixed drink that the world associates with Paris.

As Paris has played an important part in the history of mixed drinks, I would've thought that at least 1 drink would've jumped out as THE Parisienne drink, but nothing has struck me as an obvious choice.

I think it's just me, but there's surely one drink. Surely? :blink:

The Bloody Mary, whilst reputed to have been invented in Paris, didn't really come to life until Petoit went to the States and improved the recipe in 1933, if we're being honest. I still class this as a Parisienne drink, with it being created by a Frenchman, in Paris, although later adapted in the States.

The French 75 was supposedy created in Paris, but as with a number of MacElhone drinks, he then credits the drink to Malachy Macgarry of the Bucks Club in London. :shock: Isn't there also some sort of link with the French 75 and America, as they were also using the same field gun as the French, and the British weren't?

The Sidecar is the drink I'm leaning toward at the moment. Not just because of its history, but because of its ingredients which are wholly French (brandy and Cointreau). The story about the chaffeur driven army captain completes the drink for me.

As usual with MacElhone though, he then decides to credit Macgarry with the drink. doh.gif

Edited by evo-lution (log)

Evo-lution - Consultancy, Training and Events

Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Bitters - Bitters

The Jerry Thomas Project - Tipplings and musings

What about a kir royale?  more cocktail-y than just a kir, associated with France, all French ingrediants, drunk in France, named after a Frenchman.

Except the Kir comes from Dijon, not Paris. :wink:

I know, i know... I was just trying to suggest something based on the France national drink...but you're right, it's not exactly Paris based ingrediants. But, neither are the ingrediants for the sidecar...so i was cheating a little. :wink:

52 martinis blog

@52martinis