• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heat Sealers for packaging cookies

beacheschef

I've been using food-grade poly bags from ULINE for years to package my cookies. I'd fold over the edge twice and close with a sticker.

Lately I've been looking into poly bag sealers, like the ones ULINE carries. I'm interested in "sealing" the cookies, not just closing the bags.

Who has used these heat sealers, and what has your experience been?

Would you recommend one brand over another?

Is it worth purchasing the foot operated model, which is significantly more money?

Thanks for the info - Mary

Beaches Pastry

May your celebrations be sweet!

Beaches Pastry Blog

Mary,

I purchased a Jorestech off of eBay a few years ago for the same purpose. It does not have a foot pedal, but works for me. I had problems with the heating element getting a bit too hot, but I layered another protector sheet over the element and that helped some. It takes a bit of practice to get clean seals, but once you have it down it looks great.

My two complaints are that the little cutter that you slide over the poly bags doesnt always make a clean cut. I keep handy some scissors to trim any ragged pieces so it looks even.

The other thing that bothers me is that my sealer does not have any type of platform on which you could put the filled bag to seal. This causes problems when I have arranged things in the bag (to fit or for presentation) because they move around. I found that I can put a round, flatish cookie tin next to the sealer and it brings it level.

Mary,

I purchased a Jorestech off of eBay a few years ago for the same purpose. It does not have a foot pedal, but works for me. I had problems with the heating element getting a bit too hot, but I layered another protector sheet  over the element and that helped some. It takes a bit of practice to get clean seals, but once you have it down it looks great.

My two complaints are that the little cutter that you slide over the poly bags doesnt always make a clean cut. I keep handy some scissors to trim any ragged pieces so it looks even.

The other thing that bothers me is that my sealer does not have any type of platform on which you could put the filled bag to seal. This causes problems when I have arranged things in the bag (to fit or for presentation) because they move around. I found that I can put a round, flatish cookie tin next to the sealer and it brings it level.

Thanks for the inforamtion. It sounds like this will be a good purchase for my business.

Mary

Beaches Pastry

May your celebrations be sweet!

Beaches Pastry Blog