• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Emeril Green

RAHiggins1

Has anyone been watching Emeril Green on planet Green, discovery channel's new channel?

I caught an episode last night as they were marathoning the series. It's reminiscent of "Essence of Emeril", but with live participants that are not an audience per se. It seems to be backed by whole paycheck. Almost the entire episode was taped there. It was a nice one though, all the counters formed a circle with a restaurant and high bar counter setup in the center, also circular.

The food looked good and Emeril is somewhat toned down with a minimum of the oh yea babes and no bams. He's somewhat more plump these days.

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)
Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

I think Emeril get's a bit harsh reviews. Watch some of older Emeril and he is much more palatable. He's by no means my favorite T.V. chef but I think he just gets a bit more then is coming his way.

I often wonder when I do sit through one of his shows how much of the annoyance is encouraged by food network for the ratings.

I really think Emeril gets a ton more criticism than he deserves. His delivery is sometimes very awkward, and his restaurants are not the best in the world. But he's very enthusiastic about food- done the right way, I might add- and his restaurants are tasty and successful. Personally, I think criticism of him stems from pure jealousy at this point.

I've had very good meals at his places and although his FN schtick is irritating, I have a feeling that it isn't the real Emeril. I suspect that he's a decent and sincere and very capable guy who was pushed into playing the clown by the likes of Tuschman and his hideous-haired helper (whatever her name is). TV has a disgusting need to reach the lowest common denominator whenever it can because it is chasing the fastest profit.

Did i come across as negative? That was not my intent. The new show is laid back and relaxed in a nice setting with a lot of face time and explanations and not a lot of hype and bravado.

Its fun to watch Emeril pushing a shopping cart and greeting all the people who recognize him. "Hey how are ya?, How ya doin?"

and its a show that is designed to be green.

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)

What is the name of the channel? You said it was a part of the Discovery channel?

I have never had a problem with Emeril and I agree he gets far more crap than he really deserves. He has done more for food and getting people and kids interested than most. Food Network was built on Emeril' s back largely. He was their star at the start and then they disposed of him after his success peaked with audiences. It is too bad especially given the quality ( or lack there of) currently airing on the Food Network.

What is the name of the channel? You said it was a part of the Discovery channel?

I have never had a problem with Emeril and I agree he gets far more crap than he really deserves. He has done more for food and getting people and kids interested than most. Food Network was built on Emeril' s back largely. He was their star at the start and then they disposed of him after his success peaked with audiences. It is too bad especially given the quality ( or lack there of) currently airing on the Food Network.

Emeril green is the name of the show. It is on the green channel. I have seen 3 shows so far and I enjoyed all of them.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

• 1 month later...