• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coffee Shop refuses to serve espresso over ice

slkinsey

In Italian, barista is masculine, bariste is feminine, and baristi is the plural form.

Actually, barista is either masculine or feminine. Thus: il barista ("the barman") and la barista ("the barwoman"). Le bariste would properly describe a group of barpeople that is comprised exclusively of women, whereas i baristi would describe a group of barpeople that includes at least one man.

It's worthy of pointing out that none of these words refers exclusively to people who work at a coffee shop and/or operate expresso machines. The guy shaking your Daiquiri is a barista, too.

Edited by slkinsey (log)

--

In Italian, barista is masculine, bariste is feminine, and baristi is the plural form.

Actually, barista is either masculine or feminine. Thus: il barista ("the barman") and la barista ("the barwoman"). Le bariste would properly describe a group of barpeople that is comprised exclusively of women, whereas i baristi would describe a group of barpeople that includes at least one man.

It's worthy of pointing out that none of these words refers exclusively to people who work at a coffee shop and/or operate expresso machines. The guy shaking your Daiquiri is a barista, too.

I should just stick to Spanish.

• 2 years later...

Its no wonder that the coffee shop owner was so cavalier about running a business with this poor customer service since he was later charged with 82 counts of tax fraud. Its real easy to get on your high horse and threaten to punch your customer in the groin when you're not paying taxes, not paying employees, not paying worker's comp, not paying unemployment insurance, etc.. He made a big deal about 'fair trade' coffee only to turn around and screw over his own employees.