• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Summer drinks

TAPrice

What do people drink around the world when it's really hot?

Personally, I like a white vermouth with a twist or a vino verde. Hardly unique to my location here in New Orleans. I suppose a Pimm's Cup would the local choice for warm weather.

It seems like countries near the equator might have locals cocktails or spirits well suited to hot days.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

I like Lillet blanc with a twist or an Americano if I'm drinking light. Otherwise, I'm drinking Whiskey Smashes.

I live in WI so that's not really all that regional. If I were drinking WI style, an ice cold PBR or maybe a brandy Old Fashioned would fit the bill.

nunc est bibendum...

I like a Michalada beer as well in the summer. Do they actually drink them in Mexico? I was introduced to it by a Spaniard (who learned about them from a Mexican) while we were hanging out in Juarez. They certainly seemed to drink them in that border town.

I like a Michalada beer as well in the summer. Do they actually drink them in Mexico? I was introduced to it by a Spaniard (who learned about them from a Mexican) while we were hanging out in Juarez. They certainly seemed to drink them in that border town.

They sure do - with lots of variety in the ingredients. Nothing like a michelada on a hot day.

Thinking about the Michalada (and the Margarita), I'm wondering if salt is an element to a good, thirst quenching drink (and why would that be?). On the non-alcoholic side of thinks, I see lots of salted drinks at Vietnamese restaurants and seem to remember a salted Indian drink. Those are certainly hot countries.

Soy sauce sometimes. Or Worcestershire sauce. Some people like a lot of hot sauce; some just a little. Often a whole lot of lime juice (3/4 oz or more). Some people like a chilled glass, some want a little ice, some want a lot of ice. Some people want tomato juice or a premade bloody mary mix.

I'm sure they're tasty to drink, but I detest making the things. I can't predict what people expect, and always have to either play 20 questions when taking the order or remake the drink (after squeezing my whole tray of lime wedges). It doesn't help that they seem to be ordered exclusively by people who don't tip. :angry:

They sure do - with lots of variety in the ingredients.  Nothing like a michelada on a hot day.

What are the variations? I've always done a little hot sauce, a squeeze of lime and salt on the rim.

Got to have some Maggi in there. Some use Worcestershire. Others use tomato or clamato juice.

See thread on micheladas

I like the Pegu Club, it can kick a bit much, easy on the bitters, and more lime and it is perfect for a hot afternoon, as the sun goes down just add more bitters and it blends in to a more sophisticated evening quite well.

Here in Hawaii, I guess you could vote for a Mai Tai, but finding one made without any juice but lime juice and with out an umbrella can be difficult

For the same reason I don't mention the word Margaritta when i order one, it is a Tequila on the rocks with a splash of Cointreau and four lime wedges. A little more work for me at the table but I make sure the Sweet and Sour doesn't even hover near my drink

Welcome, Davetender. You'll find lots of Pegu Club fans around here (drink and bar both).

I'll offer a Thai version of a Cuba Libre, using Mee Khong whiskey. I've seen a few different variations on ratio, but the stout of heart can go for 2 coke : 1 whiskey, built over ice. As I mentioned in the topic, the whiskey has a flavor that evokes both rum and shaoxing wine, so the resulting drink is actually pretty complex.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Beyond beer and a nice crisp chilled white wine, summer for me is all about the Highball...the Long Drink...the "X and Y"...whatever you want to call it, the formula is basically the same:

2 oz booze (gin, tequila, whisk(e)y, rum, brandy, you name it)

3-4 oz fizzy mixer (tonic, club soda, cola, flavored soda, you name it; just high quality please [plug: FEVER-TREE])

wedge citrus (lime, lemon, orange, you name it)

Mix and match. Build over ice in a nice tall glass and chill.

My current favorite?

2 oz (or less as you like, given the strength) Wray & Nephew White Overproof rum (yes, *that* stuff; people, it's *brilliant*)

3-4 oz (or more as you like, given the strength) Ting Jamaican grapefruit soda

Nice big wedge of lime (at least 1/4 of a large fruit)

It's good enough to put me off G&Ts (which I absolutely adore) for the duration.

Cheers,

Mike

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."

- Bogart

2 oz (or less as you like, given the strength) Wray & Nephew White Overproof rum (yes, *that* stuff; people, it's *brilliant*)

3-4 oz (or more as you like, given the strength) Ting Jamaican grapefruit soda

Nice big wedge of lime (at least 1/4 of a large fruit.

That`s exactly my favorite as well! a must - not only in the summer..and yes the JWray is brilliant stuff! i even wrote about it in my blog a while ago.

Edited by Tiare (log)

www.amountainofcrushedice.com

Tiki drinks are deceptive..if you think you can gulp them down like milk you´re wrong.

I like a drink johnder turned me onto - beer Picon...nice frosty glass of ice cold lager with a shot of Amer Picon mixed in - and now looking at my bottle of Picon, it actually says "Add Beer for An Apertif" right on the label.

Swizzles, which are a bit of a pain in the ass to make at home.

And gin rickey's are also high on the list. But they go down really easy, so be careful.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

And not to forget Campari..and Campari cocktails..

www.amountainofcrushedice.com

Tiki drinks are deceptive..if you think you can gulp them down like milk you´re wrong.

I've been drinking lots of tall citrusy drinks. Either a Front Stoop Lemonade of my own creation, a St. Germain spritzer with sauvignon blanc, some soda and a twist of lemon or a tall gin gimlet with Plymouth, a splash of St. Germain, a squirt of fresh lime cordial and soda or bitter lemon.

A customer ordered a Lillet and soda with an orange twist a couple of weeks ago and I was like gallery_7409_6069_395.jpg But of course! I had one later that night and it was just the perfect light summer cocktail.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I like a drink johnder turned me onto - beer Picon...nice frosty glass of ice cold lager with a shot of Amer Picon mixed in - and  now looking at my bottle of Picon, it actually says "Add Beer for An Apertif" right on the label.

I recently made something similar. I had some beer left over from a party (Yuengling Lager, for those keeping score) and had one in hand the next day when I spied the bottle of Cynar near the fridge, so I figured 'what the hell". It made for some pretty nice refreshing drinks, though a lot of that probably depends on how (let's say) 'neutral' the beer in question happens to be.

Campari and prosecco (with just a bit of sugar to take the edge off) is also always nice, popular around the pool at my folks' house.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."