• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Career Decisions

chefzr

Thisis my second post here and I would like an opinion.

I am 17 and entering my senior year in high school. My high school is nationally ranked and most people see my passion for as a waste of my ability. My typical response to them is very kitchen like and do not feel like posting that. My issue is people do not see the creativity and the pasion food requires. They think throw food in pan, put on plate done. But everyone knows that that is not a restaurant job. At 17 I am the chef's right hand. He has a sous chef, but the chef comes to me for ideas, to me to remeber recipes, to tell me how to do a new dish, and when the chef is out I deal with all invetory, deliveries, running the line, cooking saute 1, (yes my chef still cooks) :shock: , and I deal with FoH. I have gotten a lot out of this experience plus from my home (my dad was a chef for 20 years and now runs 6 restaurants). But my dream is to be a restauratuer and run restaurants. MY question is should I got Cornell and the hotel school (I have the grades and scores) for the buisness understanding, or should I go to CIA and learn about food, or should I work in top restaurants for 4-5 years after school and then go to business school? My dad hates the idea of culinary school and my mom hates F&B in general.

Being a successful chef and being a successful business owner can be a tough line to walk. As a chef, you want no holds barred access to food and equipment so that you can be as creative as you want to be. As a business owner, your primary goal is to make a profit. I've not met many people who have an equal passion for both. As to which school would be a better fit, realize that while school is important in getting a leg up, a lot of the knowledge required for a particular field can be picked up on the job. It usually just takes a longer period of time.

If it were me, and my goal was to own my own restaurant, I would pick the culinary training first. Learn as much as you can about both FoH and BoH. Stage or work in restaurants who have chefs you feel can teach you not only about food, but about the business of running a successful restaurant. And then after several years in the business, look at business schools. Does the curriculum offer anything that you can't pick up on the job?

I know that when I graduated college with my Bachelor's degree and went into the workforce, it was always my intent to go back for a Master's degree at some point. After a number of years when I decided the time was right, I started reviewing the curriculum and realized that I already had a lot of the knowledge and skills that pursuing a Master's degree would've gotten me. So, I decided not to waste a lot of my time and money pursuing a piece of paper that proves that I mastered what I already knew.

At 17, it's great to have such a strong passion. Just realize that as much as you try and rigorously plan for your future now, be prepared for it to change as life unfolds over the next couple of years.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

....most people see my passion for as a waste of my ability.

Sounds like you're intelligent and they feel a career in a kitchen would be a waste of that intelligence, but not so, if you want to own your own place later.

Nobody can tell you what to do, but seeing as how you're already working in a kitchen and have been given a fair amount of responsibility, that'll go farther on a resume than a diploma will. Not to every employer, mind you, but certainly to many. A diploma doesn't mean you can cook on a line.

There have been quite a few discussions on eG regarding culinary school, and the pros and cons from people who've gone. Here is one and here is another. There are many more. You mentioned going to CIA but bear in mind that is an incredibly expensive school, and many students think a community college would have done them just as well, given their work history.

I think (and this is just my personal opinion here) yo should go to the hotel school while continuing to work in kitchens, then finish up with a quick community college course (6 months? 8 months?) to give you any basics you missed and round out your resume.

The best advice I can give you is to not let anyone stifle or downplay your need for creativity in your career. I did for a while there and just did whatever I was told, and I was certainly very miserable for it. You don't want to end up in your 30's or 40's and feel like your life has been stolen from you by other people who "had your best interests in mind."

Welcome to eGullet, by the way. :smile:

For what its worth, there are quite a few PhDs, MDs, JDs that now work in the kitchen. We're smart enough to know that we should be doing what makes us happy and the money will follow (that is what they mean when they suggest your talents will be wasted). This is exactly how it was when I worked at a ski resort - lots of Docs. I also think the 4-year BA is the way to go because interests change and having a wide array of knowledge and skills will never let you down.

For what its worth, there are quite a few PhDs, MDs, JDs that now work in the kitchen.  We're smart enough to know that we should be doing what makes us happy and the money will follow (that is what they mean when they suggest your talents will be wasted).  This is exactly how it was when I worked at a ski resort - lots of Docs.  I also think the 4-year BA is the way to go because interests change and having a wide array of knowledge and skills will never let you down.

I agree. I just enrolled in a technical college culinary program to try and get back to where I want to be in life. I was in the food biz for 10+ years and shifted to computers in the 90's. Now, I want back in what makes me happy. (at the time I thought computers made me happy) hopefully I'll be running my own place too some day.

Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

OK - Now that I see your post I understand from your menu thesis question that you are not a chef - ok - look - I am a career changer chef. I went got a business degree worked 10 years as a university medical school comm dir and realized I was not happy - food made me happy . I took my white colar job and went to the CIA - I chose the CIA becasue I was a career changer that wnat to make sure I could get a jump since I am older than the HS kids that have 20 years to learn where I was in another career. Culinary schools (any of them) give you a great foundation on which to build. The problem with culinary grads is they tend to come out with an ego which hurt us greatly. The school of "hard knocks" or working up is a good thing too - BUT I will argue with anyone that says that many places are wanting grads OR certifications (ACF or PROChef) so the road you take is up to you. All schools are expensive - but so in Med school Law school or wherever - they make a heck of a lot more money that chefs. I came out of the CIA and went straight to Sous (French for Slave) my term is more the Executive Chefs Puching Bag - I am paying my dues until I get the title of Exec - and working toward certifications - so the raod continues for me but it is not a glamourous life by any means - take you time - you ahve a year your senior year to think about options of what you want - hey it took me 20 years to figue it out and I am a chef - but still want to be a billionaire!