• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heirloom carrots

mcohen

I picked up some heirloom carrots at the farmers' market where these carrots have different colors than the ubiquitous orange but I'm not sure what to do with them. Do you treat or cook them differently than the orange carrots? Are they best served raw, or cooked?

I don't really know.

All I can say, is, from the ones I picked up from our local farmers market: the orange ones were delicious.

And, although I really wanted to love the purple and the off white/tan ones, I don't think they taste as good!

Raw, that is.

Philly Francophiles

We have had purple carrots in our CSA box for several years. They cook just the same as orange carrots, and taste the same. We like to give them a quick roast in the oven, and the color stays bright. One caution - if you peel them, the purple will stain your hands much the way a red beet would.

I picked up some heirloom carrots at the farmers' market where these carrots have different colors than the ubiquitous orange but I'm not sure what to do with them. Do you treat or cook them differently than the orange carrots? Are they best served raw, or cooked?