• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gordon Ramsay's Fast Food

kristin_71

I just picked up a copy of it after thumbing through it at the bookstore. It was appealing to me because the food is good food that yes you can make quickly without sacrificing alot. It is going to be a good cookbook for coming home at night after work and almost being too tired to cook. He gives you a list of what your pantry should have in it at all times, nothing out of the ordinary and he mentions what fresh standbys you should have in your freezer, vegetable bin and refrigerator as well as other essentials. I have to admit even the deserts look easy enough for me, a person with limited baking skills to do. I find it more straightforward without an agenda than say Rachel Ray. ( and yes I have one of her cookbooks too, so that I can speak to experience rather than sheer dislike and vitrol.)

BTW, there is a recipe for baked pork chops with piquant sauce that I am doing tonight for dinner. :)

Edited by kristin_71 (log)

Just to update I made the baked pork chops with a piquant sauce out of Gordon Ramsay's Fast Food. The pork chops are baked with thyme, rosemary, garlic ( Ramsay says leave the skin on I did not.) and olive oil. The sauce is a onion, red chili ( I did not have any so I used a tomatillo to great success.) and a red pepper cooked til soft and then add the tomatoes, some water and a dash of sugar and cook down. As I said I used a tomatillo instead of a chili pepper because it is what I had and it really gave the sauce a nice flavor. Also when the chops are done, you take the pan juices and pour some in the sauce and then I took the baked garlic and threw it in the sauce, smashing it up a bit then let it cook down a little more. I made notes at the end of the recipe so I would remember what I did. It was really good and start to finish was just under 45 minutes. I will be doing that one again. :smile:

I've got this book as well and everything I've made has turned out well. If you haven't already, check out his method for scrambled eggs. I used to make pretty good eggs, now they're great - gorgeously soft and creamy.

Wow thanks for the recommendations. I was browsing at the bookstore today and saw it for a few dollars. I guess I'll be picking it up soon enough (if not tomorrow)!

I am eager to hear your thoughts Ce'nedra. I am thinking about the eggs as a next dish. Like I said, I like it because it is easy and quick enough to do after a long day at the office when the last thing you want to do is cook,especially with it being so hot right now. This keeps me motivated. :cool: