• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Russian River Valley

My wife and I will be attending a wedding in San Francisco in a few weeks, and have decided to visit the Russian River Valley during our stay. I was hoping I could find recommendations for a few good restaurants in and around the area.

Can anyone speak specifically about the Applewood Inn; we've heard some good things.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

LSD

I'll second the Farmhouse Inn... and for Healdsburg if you want something a bit more casual (and cheaper) than Cyrus, Ravenous and Zin are good spots as are quite a few other restaurants around the square.

I would also stop by the Jimtown Store in Healdsburg to eat lunch or pick up a picnic lunch for eating at a winery. click

If you don't eat at their cafe, almost all the wineries in that area have nice picnic areas.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I second Cyrus. It can be quite expensive if you dine in the main dining room and go for the multi-coursed option, but they do offer a la carte dining in the bar for a relative bargain (most entrees under $30).

If you know which wineries you'll be visiting we can lead you to a great dinner nearby. Will you be checking out the boutiques on the West side of the county or will you be heading up 101 into the Dry Creek and Healdsburg area?

If you know which wineries you'll be visiting we can lead you to a great dinner nearby.  Will you be checking out the boutiques on the West side of the county or will you be heading up 101 into the Dry Creek and Healdsburg area?

We have never been to the area; staying at La Rose in Santa Rosa. We will be there 2 days and will make sure to head up to Healdsburg at some point. I am open to suggestions, but not sure which wineries we'll hit.

Thanks!

Syrah is right by your hotel and quite good.

You've gotten plenty of Healdsburg suggestions and if you head out to west county, I would suggest K&L Bistro or Farmhouse (both have a Michelin star) or Starlight Wine Bar right next to the Sheldon tasting room.