• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch Recommendations in Nova Scotia?

Catew

We are going to be on a cruise in early August that will stop in Saint John, Halifax, and Sydney. We're probably going to be sick of cruise food by then, and will be in the market for lunch in each of these cities.

In Saint John, we're going to be on foot, and we won't be in town for long -- just 8am to 2pm. Any places not to miss?

In Halifax, we are renting a car. Right now we are torn between taking a drive to Peggy's Cove or going to Lunenburg.

And in Sydney, we are driving up to Big Bras d'Or to go on a bird watching boat tour.

I would greatly appreciate any tips or pointers anyone can share. We are not going to be looking for fine dining -- just good, honest, tasty food. Fresh seafood would be a plus. Thank you so much!

I heard Jane's on the Common is decent in Halifax, but haven't been.

We enjoyed our meal at Cheapside.

I heard Chives is decent, too.

If you get to Lunenberg, you can try Fleur de Sel.

Edit: Oh yeah, and be sure to check out Lick A Chick in Sydney. I don't know if it's good, but I love the name.

Edited by riboflavinjoe (log)

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

I'm actually in Halifax right now. We just ate dinner at a place called Piccolo Mondo. It was fair, nothing I'd really reccomend.

We spent the last few days in Cape Breton, but I didnt get up to Sydney.

I think tomorrow we're going to Jane on the Common so I'll report back.

In Halifax, we are renting a car.  Right now we are torn between taking a drive to Peggy's Cove or going to Lunenburg.
If you drive to Peggy's Cove you'll go right by my house! It's a sight worth seeing but it's really just a lighthouse and a small fishing village with one restaurant. It's quite crowded there in the summer months - they usually get 750,000 visitors per year.

Lunenburg is a bit farther but there's lots more there in the food department, plus it's a UNESCO World Heritage Site with lots to see and do.

And in Sydney, we are driving up to Big Bras d'Or to go on a bird watching boat tour.
Would that be Donelda's Puffin Boat Tour or the Bird Island Tour? I hear they're both good. For well-priced good seafood I like The Lobster Galley in St. Anne's.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I ate at Jane on the Common when I was at home at Christmas. I liked it - but it gets busy at lunch. Go early or expect a queue. There's really not that much else up in that area, if I recall correctly, especially for anyone living in and around Gottingen st.

I have always enjoyed Chives, and its location on Barrington is easy to get to if you're coming up from Pier 21 and the cruise ship docks.

Lunenburg has my vote: more to do than Peggy's Cove.

Lunenburg, without a doubt. Lovely place, lots to see, some decent food.

In Halifax we found a superb old-fashioned diner: simple, extremely well-prepared food, excellent service, just a delight. Ate there 3 times. Breakfast is especially good.

Esquire

772 Bedford Highway

Halifax, NS B3J 2W1

Tel: 902-835-9033

winemaker

Near Sydney, in Boularderie, off the TC highway, there is the Cedar House restaurant and bakery which has excellent fish and chips as well as fish cakes. Actually, just about everything is well done and it is likely on the way to/from your tour.

Halifax is loaded with great dining options as members have mentioned above. Chives is always excellent, Chefs Flinn and Lewis do great work with local fresh stuff - and I think they're adding a take-out. Oddly enough I've never made it to Jane's on the Common even though a close colleague designed the interior, so I can only say I hear good things.

The best and most up to date guide for Halifax dining that I've seen is from The Coast (click) magazine's free guide called Food & Drink Halifax. I think it's still in the newspaper boxes around the city, and it's free.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Thank you all so much -- this is EXACTLY the sort of information I was hoping for. Our boat tour is the Bird Island one. I was torn between them and Donalda's, but they were so nice on the phone that my decision was made for me. I have never seen a puffin and have always wanted to, so I'm really looking forward to that.

We are going to be 12 people ranging in age from 10 to 80, so it's entirely possible that we'll end up splitting into groups for meals. Having lots of choices will be helpful.

And I also appreciate the votes for Lunenburg. I didn't realize exactly how touristy Peggy's Cove was, and since I can see it on the webcam whenever I want, maybe that will be enough for the rest of my party too. Or perhaps we'll split up there too!

If anyone else has ideas for us, I am grateful to receive them...

Edited by Catew (log)

I forgot to ask -- will I have any hope of finding butter tarts in NS? I have spent a fair amount of time in Ontario, where they seem to be everywhere and I developed my addiction. If I can find them this August, my happiness will be complete. Raisins or not, runny or firm, I haven't yet met a butter tart I didn't like.

I forgot to ask -- will I have any hope of finding butter tarts in NS? I have spent a fair amount of time in Ontario, where they seem to be everywhere and I developed my addiction. If I can find them this August, my happiness will be complete. Raisins or not, runny or firm, I haven't yet met a butter tart I didn't like.

:laugh: Any Tim Horton's should have them, but I can't speak to the quality. Mary's Breadbasket at the Brewery Market is the only bakery I can think of right now, but I can't remember if they do butter tarts.

I ate at Jane on the Common when I was at home at Christmas. I liked it - but it gets busy at lunch. Go early or expect a queue. There's really not that much else up in that area, if I recall correctly, especially for anyone living in and around Gottingen st.

I have always enjoyed Chives, and its location on Barrington is easy to get to if you're coming up from Pier 21 and the cruise ship docks.

Lunenburg has my vote: more to do than Peggy's Cove.

We had dinner tonight at Chives. It was excellent. When I get back home, I'll post some pics.

We also went to Peggy's cove today. There isnt anything to do per se, except look at the lighthouse. There is also a memorial to Swiss Air flight 111 a short way away.