• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Racine - new ownership

Holy cow, everyone's jumping ship to Sloane Sq,

Well, there you go, black and white. A dirty job etc.

OK, cheap jibe maybe, but I have been wowed by a great team over the last few years that have completely changed South Ken from an also ran to a really run with restaurants.

Racine is a major part of that.

Bugger, I make it sound like a South Ken tourist attraction!

Edited by howardlong (log)

Holy cow, everyone's jumping ship to  Sloane Sq,

Well, there you go, black and white. A dirty job etc.

OK, cheap jibe maybe, but I have been wowed by a great team over the last few years that have completely changed South Ken from an also ran to a really run with restaurants.

Racine is a major part of that.

Bugger, I make it sound like a South Ken tourist attraction!

WHat's all that about? Used to really like Racine - presume this is for the worst?

WHat's all that about? Used to really like Racine - presume this is for the worst?

Difficult to say. From chatting yesterday, I know a number of front of house are going to another venture in Sloane Square. I agree, Racine is great. I just hope that the 'new' Racine will be as good.

Cheers, H

Difficult to say. From chatting yesterday, I know a number of front of house are going to another venture in Sloane Square. I agree, Racine is great. I just hope that the 'new' Racine will be as good.

Cheers, H

There is every reason to think the new Racine will indeed be just as good as the old, and better than it's most recent incarnation.

Why? Because the new boss is, er, the old one. Henry Harris has departed his full time role with Soho House (though will doubtless continue to be involved) and now has his old restaurant back.

Expect a relaunch later in the summer/ early Autumn. but for anyone who loves London restaurants this has to be good news.

Jay

Cheers, H

There is every reason to think the new Racine will indeed be just as good as the old, and better than it's most recent incarnation.

Why? Because the new boss is, er, the old one. Henry Harris has departed his full time role with Soho House (though will doubtless continue to be involved) and now has his old restaurant back.

Expect a relaunch later in the summer/ early Autumn. but for anyone who loves London restaurants this has to be good news.

Ah, good, that sounds promising. Was he only on a short-term contract with Soho House then? Look forward to trying the new place.

Sounds like good news. They didn't tell me the new partner was really the old one! Glad someone has their ear to the ground better than me - but then I guess I'm not paid to know this stuff!

By the way if my OP was rather difficult to decipher that was because of my overindulgence at lunch yesterday at Racine.

Cheers, Howard

Edited by howardlong (log)

• 11 months later...

Hi,

My wife & I are moving to Australia for a couple of years and had a goodbye dinner with my parents last week.

We greatly enjoy this restaurant; one of the few really good french bistros in London.

From what I can see the restaurant hasn't changed much over the five or so years we've been going there, apart from the bread. They used to have lovely crusty french bread, but it nows seems a bit cheap :(

Having said that the food is always good with interest dishes a cut above the normal bistro fayre.

We had:

- watercress soup with crab

- soft roes on toast

- shared a label anglaise chicken with creamy broad beans & proper sauteed potatoes

- vanilla ice cream with valhorna (sp.) chocolate sauce

I'd always recommend this place, though the 14.5% service charge is a little cheeky.

On a separate note, moving to Australia means I'm going to be spending less time on this forum, which is a shame since it's always been a good read. The Australia board doesn't have the same interest & banter :( I'll have to follow the adventures of Food Snob, Felix, Ulterior Epicure etc. from an even greater distance.

stay hungry all

fergal

Hi,

My wife & I are moving to Australia for a couple of years and had a goodbye dinner with my parents last week.

We greatly enjoy this restaurant; one of the few really good french bistros in London.

From what I can see the restaurant hasn't changed much over the five or so years we've been going there, apart from the bread. They used to have lovely crusty french bread, but it nows seems a bit cheap :(

Having said that the food is always good with interest dishes a cut above the normal bistro fayre.

We had:

- watercress soup with crab

- soft roes on toast

- shared a label anglaise chicken with creamy broad beans & proper sauteed potatoes

- vanilla ice cream with valhorna (sp.) chocolate sauce

I'd always recommend this place, though the 14.5% service charge is a little cheeky.

On a separate note, moving to Australia means I'm going to be spending less time on this forum, which is a shame since it's always been a good read. The Australia board doesn't have the same interest & banter :( I'll have to follow the adventures of Food Snob, Felix, Ulterior Epicure etc. from an even greater distance.

stay hungry all

fergal

Fergal, we are heading back to Aus soon. I intend to try and inject some life into the board over there. Lets both try. And don't worry lots to write about, you won't go hungry.