• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vietnamese and Thai in Montreal?

winemaker

Two foodie friends are coming in for a few days from Bordeaux. They'd like to taste some food they can't get. Obviously, we're going Quebecoise (APdC), most likely Tapeo, and they specifically asked for Vietnamese and/or Thai, none of which in Bordeaux is any good... [in an unlikely irony, they've got a Sichuanese resto there better than ANYthing Chinese we've got in Montreal... sigh] Poking around on the net got some nice words for Au Cyclo. Is that still the case? Zagat tells me Chao Phraya.

But I just don't know where to go. I'm from California, and the Asian resto scene here (IMHO from what I've seen so far in 2 yrs) is weirdly underdeveloped. Not to mention uninspiring. But I'm REALLY hoping you folks will straighten me out!

TIA!

winemaker

Au Cyclo is unfortunately closed. It was a jewel, but for some reason didn't last.

My favorite spot for viet food now is Y Lan way north on St Denis.

There's also a wonderful little Banh Xeo joint on... I think Belanger near St Hubert.

Neither is 'fine dining' however....

Banh Xeo Minh, 1308 Bélanger near Chambord. It's just a hole in the wall but the food is good and the people are quite nice.

Anyone have an opinion on Souvenirs D'Indochine on Mont-Royal near Jeanne-Mance? It's been there forever and it's the only upscale Vietnamese place left in town AFAIK. I never hear much about that place, good or bad.

Banh Xeo Minh, 1308  Bélanger near Chambord. It's just a hole in the wall but the food is good and the people are quite nice.

Anyone have an opinion on Souvenirs D'Indochine on Mont-Royal near Jeanne-Mance? It's been there forever and it's the only upscale Vietnamese place left in town AFAIK. I never hear much about that place, good or bad.

It's good. Won't blow your mind away, but very respectable, upscale non-Pho viet food.

Another upscale vietnamese joint is Ong Ca Can on St Catherine, east of St Laurent. Try their traditional 7 Beef meal, it's super good.

-Oli-

Edited by OliverN (log)