• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to tell a very good wine

Florida Jim

2006 Weil, Riesling Estate Trocken:

A nice, deep, dry riesling with good varietal character, structure and length. Lovely with a dish of pasta with chicken, zucchini and cream sauce.

Diane and I had our lunch out on the porch (covered) in a rain storm. Toward the end of our lunch, it really started to come down. Next thing I know, we are racing around the yard naked, dogs trying to keep up, whooping and hollering (and barking) like youngsters. (Obviously, it’s a good thing we live on ten wooded acres.) Then, back up on the porch to the last of the wine, laughing hard and toweling off very excited (and soaked) dogs.

I haven’t any idea how all this got started but I’m buying more of this bottling the first chance I get.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

A nice, deep, dry riesling with good varietal character, structure and length. Lovely with a dish of pasta with chicken, zucchini and cream sauce.

Diane and I had our lunch out on the porch (covered) in a rain storm. Toward the end of our lunch, it really started to come down. Next thing I know, we are racing around the yard naked, dogs trying to keep up, whooping and hollering (and barking) like youngsters. (Obviously, it’s a good thing we live on ten wooded acres.) Then, back up on the porch to the last of the wine, laughing hard and toweling off very excited (and soaked) dogs.

I haven’t any idea how all this got started but I’m buying more of this bottling the first chance I get.

Best, Jim

Indeed,this is an excellent description of the essence of this particular Reisling.

NO need to evoque all kinds of fruit .i,e figs,cassis,rasberry ,etc ending with tabacco.Wunderbar.

Best, Jim

OMG-I've had prostate surgery--I NEED THIS WINE--enjoy, my friend--Bill

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

It is true. One hallmark a of a very good wine is that it is not a chore to drink it. It sounds like this wine achieved that hallmark! :wink::laugh: Gotta love it. Those are the moments life is made for.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Hmm, given that I don't live on 10 wooded acres, but in a semi-detached house in suburbia, I'd better be careful sampling this...

Great post, FJ. That truly is the sign of a good wine!

forget tasting notes at the wine store. I am just going to search for the POS that says, "makes you wanna get N-E-double K-by God-I-D" ":"^)

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.