• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nashville/Franklin -- Help?

jmsaul

I've got a last minute business trip to Nashville (Franklin actually). I'm flying out in a few hours, and will arrive by 8pm tonight (Sunday). I'll read this as soon as I get to the airport.

Is there any place I can go tonight that's got decent Southern cooking? I don't mind cab fare, and I'm not locked into fine dining (if there's some hole in the wall in a questionable neighborhood with awesome food I'm happy to go there).

Thanks for any help you can give!

If you're just talking about tonight, it may be tough. Most of the meat and threes are either closed on Sunday or close before you land.

If you're around tomorrow, I strongly recommend Barbara's Home Cooking - my favorite of Nashville area meat and threes (Arnold's is a close second). Great fried chicken and cobblers and they bake their own dinner rolls. They are closed on Sunday and are open for lunch and dinner tomorrow. Barbara's address is in Franklin, but they are in the country and it will be a healthy cab ride. Worth it. Buy your cabby lunch and he will be there to take you back.

Only place I can find in my listings that meets your criteria is another favorite, The Beacon Lights Tea Room in Lyles. I show them open until 10 PM on Sunday, but better call to make sure. They are in Lyles which is like an hour from the airport - west of Nashville.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

If you're just talking about tonight, it may be tough.  Most of the meat and threes are either closed on Sunday or close before you land.

If you're around tomorrow, I strongly recommend Barbara's Home Cooking - my favorite of Nashville area meat and threes (Arnold's is a close second).  Great fried chicken and cobblers and they bake their own dinner rolls.  They are closed on Sunday and are open for lunch and dinner tomorrow.  Barbara's address is in Franklin, but they are in the country and it will be a healthy cab ride.  Worth it.  Buy your cabby lunch and he will be there to take you back.

Only place I can find in my listings that meets your criteria is another favorite, The Beacon Lights Tea Room in Lyles.  I show them open until 10 PM on Sunday, but better call to make sure.  They are in Lyles which is like an hour from the airport - west of Nashville.

Thanks very much! I don't know what I'll be able to do during the day tomorrow, since I have to be at the airport in the late afternoon, but I'll see what I can accomplish...

Late Sunday evening in Nashville is rough for down home cookin'  Your best bet might be Mrs. Winner's chicken - a chain, but good fried chicken and biscuits.

Sadly, Northwest hosed me. I just got in, so it's the hotel restaurant (aargh!) for me tonight. Maybe I'll get to try something decent tomorrow.

Wouldn't have had time to range out into the country, but we did wind up going for lunch to Puckett's Grocery and Restaurant in downtown Franklin -- their cherrywood-smoked ribs are the best ribs I've ever had in my life:

http://www.puckettsgrocery.com/about.htm

Next time I fly down there, I'm going to rent a car (if work won't pay for it, I will) and allow myself more time to check the area out.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am going to visit your fair city in a couple of weeks and would love some recommendations for Cocktails, breakfast/lunch on the more down home side and a couple of great restaurants for dinner.

Thanks,

Toby

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

Hi, I am going to visit your fair city in a couple of weeks and would love some recommendations for Cocktails, breakfast/lunch on the more down home side and a couple of great restaurants for dinner.

Thanks,

Toby

dinner:

the acorn

cabana

germantown cafe

tayst

radius 10 or watermark (haven't been to either)

drinks:

no idea, i rarely drink or go out. there's some new place called lime. might be worth checking out.

breakfast:

pancake pantry

loveless cafe

bongo java/fido

monell's (on the weekend)

lunch:

hog heaven

rotier's

sportsman's grill

monell's

if you have time and are looking for the best bbq in the area, head out to martin's bbq joint in nolensville. the owner is an egullet person (bighoss) and his food is excellent.

Along with Esq's lunch recommends, I have really come to like Arnold's for lunch - a cafeteria line meat and three or four or five. Great smothered chicken, great sides, great fried corn breads. And Martin's is definitely worth the expedition to Nolensville.

Fir the first time in four years of biweekly travel to Nashville I'm staying at the Hermitage. Going to give them a try for dinner and breakfast.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

is it possible for you to give a little insight as to why you travel to nashville so often? are you doing consulting work with cracker barrel or something along those lines?

also, if you're staying at the hermitage, you might want to chek out rae's for lunch (http://raesgourmet.com/) it's on union, about 30 steps from the hermitage. i recommend any of the following, in the followign order:

black and blue

beastie boy

hot brown

wicked chicken

monte cristo

i work in the boa building across the street and it's one of my lunchtime staples.

Edited by carpetbagger, esq. (log)

is it possible for you to give a little insight as to why you travel to nashville so often?  are you doing consulting work with cracker barrel or something along those lines? 

Cracker Barrel wouldn't appreciate my input.

I have a thing going on with Minnie Pearl at her namesake, the Sarah Cannon Research Institute. It's a brief tryst, about an hour or so. Recently I've been flying in and out the same day, but that is a lot of US AIR Express to deal with in an eight hour period.

My return flight Friday is at 1 PM, so can't make Rae's this trip, but it is now on my list. Sounds like my kinda eating.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

• 1 month later...

Thanks, y'all. I'll be in Nashville for a weekend in October, and will use your recommendations to influence where my old friends and I go eat.

We have a few meals already planned for us at a local college campus (somewhere between Rotier's and Pancake Pantry ... both of which we would have all eaten in some 25 years ago :shock: when we lived in Nashville), but will have some 'free' mealtimes too.