• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Solo Dining in Vienna

It's great to find threads here that deal with Viennese dining, but have a slightly different request. I'll be making a trip to Vienna next month by myself, and will be there from Aug. 1-6. What are some better options for dining solo in Vienna? The finer places I am sure would be fine dining solo (Steirereck, Meinl am Graben, etc) , since I've done that elsewhere in Paris and NY, but what are some mid-tier and typical Viennese places that I can try without feeling strange. I speak decent German, so hopefully I won't stick out like a typical tourist!

Also, are there particular food/wine/gourmet shops or similar places that I should go to? Gerstner for pastries, Meinl and the Naschmarkt immediately come to mind, but I am sure I am missing some. Also, if you are in the area and wish to try a restaurant together, do let me know.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Don't worry one bit. I have been living in Vienna for decades and dine alone about 80 % of the time. All the restaurants I know (quite a lot!) will make you feel welcome.

Charles Milton Ling

Vienna, Austria