• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whole Wheat Bread

rgruby

that is so interesting. One thing I've noticed in the grocery store trying to find whole wheat anything is that most commercially available also have added high fructose corn syrup (likely added as a dough conditioner). I wonder if that was the case in the study?

I think it's interesting that the sourdough had that effect...I wonder if that is due to the slower rising time. I know bread that's been left to rise overnite in the fridgey is so much better tasting. And now, maybe heatlthier too.

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe

And I quote from the ariticle:

"With the sourdough, the subjects' blood sugar levels were lower for a similar rise in blood insulin," says Graham, whose findings are being published in the British Journal of Nutrition.

"What was even more interesting was that this positive effect remained during their second meal and lasted hours after."

He says that it's likely that the fermentation of the sourdough changes the nature of the starches in the bread, creating a more beneficial bread. "

END QUOTE FROM ARTICLE

Respectfully, this is not "new" news. What is best is sourdough bread made with a significant portion of whole wheat flour. We've known about the complex fermentations occuring during "sourdough" fermentation and how they yield a more digestible and generally more "healthy" product.

This is kind of like bran muffins; probably the worst muffin to ingest from a nutritional standpoint due to the significant amounts of sugars required to make it "tasty."