• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Slunch: the new fad and book

According to Web Radio du Gout the newest fad is Le Slunch a most non-Anglo-Saxon meal invented by a journalist at the French Elle. One gathers ones friends at the end of Sunday and eats mets without plates between 5 and 10 PM. Examples are: fruits, tartlettes, cold soups, ham, haddock rillettes, dips, salads and grilled pumpkin as well as fruit juices, teas and unusual wines of all colors. The book is “Slunch" by Pascale Weeks (Alias Scally), Editions First.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I first read about "Slunch" on the author's blog, C'est moi qui la fait. If you read French, you can read her post here about her new cookbook on the topic. I've followed the web site for a while, it's a very low-key, friendly site with some interesting recipes. But I must confess, I don't get "Slunch." Seems like brunch, only for dinner. I'll be interested to know if this trend lasts.

What an ugly word — I wouldn't be caught dead using it. Can't they just say high tea or, in French, collation (which is the proper term for an informal meal served between 5 and 10)? Or even goûter dînatoire which is just the same thing?

But they can't say that because if they do, there goes the new trend.

Some publishers are always eager to launch books about new food trends even before they're out and tried. There is always the danger that the trend doesn't actually take flight. I was proposed by one of my publishers to write a book on "cafés gourmands" (i.e. a gimmicky way of serving cutesy sweet things with coffee) instead of the more serious book about coffee I had in mind. I'm glad I refused, the trend apparently did not last more than two weeks.

(Oh, come to think of it, nevermind what I just wrote. I'm going to launch a new trend myself, say for instance brinner? A compromise of "breakfast" and "dinner" for people with a very irregular lifestyle and loose sense of timing. Cool, I think I've got something, let's see if it grows corn…) :wink:

Edited by Ptipois (log)

Maybe its a bad take off on Flunch?

Flunch being cheap & cheerful cafeteria style places run by the HyperU chain of super markets.

Personally, I kind of like slupper.

Flunch being cheap & cheerful cafeteria style places run by the HyperU chain of super markets.

Slunch was probably not modeled after Flunch but it certainly reminds you of it in an irresistible way.

Slupper sounds fun, and not worse than slunch, did you make it up?

Slunch was probably not modeled after Flunch but it certainly reminds you of it in an irresistible way.

Slupper sounds fun, and not worse than slunch, did you make it up?

I did make it up. I was thinking of a sort of semi-liquid meal.

(Oh, come to think of it,...I'm going to launch a new trend myself, say for instance brinner? A compromise of "breakfast" and "dinner" for people with a very irregular lifestyle and loose sense of timing. Cool, I think I've got something, let's see if it grows corn…) :wink:

You've just coined a name for the way our son ate most of his X and Y years. :hmmm: For years, the first thing I would say when he entered the house was, "Have you eaten?" Prevented not a little mal entendement due to low blood sugar.

eGullet member #80.

Slunch may be new in France but it's been around our house for more years than I care to recall. Here it is often a buffet type casual meal of mostly leftovers served on days when we have breakfast but then become involved in some activity or journey or something and miss the lunch hour so we have Slunch - a combination of lunch and supper.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I agree with Ptipois that it's an ugly word, I thought it was just me.

But to Anna's point about the informal family meals anchored by leftovers. I imagine that we all do that from time to time. What I find confusing here is: so how does that require a cookbook? Does anyone know what type of recipes it includes?

How is this idea being received in France?

I agree with Ptipois that it's an ugly word, I thought it was just me.

But to Anna's point about the informal family meals anchored by leftovers.  I imagine that we all do that from time to time.  What I find confusing here is: so how does that require a cookbook? Does anyone know what type of recipes it includes?

Yes- Isn't this what happens on a lazy weekend when guests either arrive at an odd hour or stay longer because they are so comfortable. You bring out leftovers, re-align them, add some simple things and continue your happy day. A cookbook?!?

I don't think it is getting much attention. I remember seeing the word (possibly in Elle) a year ago and haven't seen or heard of it again until now, so if this is new fad, I have missed it completely.

I think Ptipois was correct in saying "some publishers are always eager to launch books about new food trends even before they're out and tried."

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

• 4 weeks later...

I was just flipping through an issue of Prima magazine, and apparently they are also pushing the word "Drunch" which they say is identical to "slunch" - but it's just a contraction of dinner and lunch instead. (why you need two words, dunno??) Anyway, I think "drunch" is more appropriate for describing a lunch where you've had too many glasses of wine.

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

• 4 months later...
I was just flipping through an issue of Prima magazine, and apparently they are also pushing the word "Drunch" which they say is identical to "slunch" - but it's just a contraction of dinner and lunch instead.  (why you need two words, dunno??)  Anyway, I think "drunch" is more appropriate for describing a lunch where you've had too many glasses of wine.

Just to keep wordwise current, the December 15-16 ANP said that the Gilles Choukrounesque Mini Palais was now serving drunch.

John Talbott

I was just flipping through an issue of Prima magazine, and apparently they are also pushing the word "Drunch" which they say is identical to "slunch" - but it's just a contraction of dinner and lunch instead.  (why you need two words, dunno??)  Anyway, I think "drunch" is more appropriate for describing a lunch where you've had too many glasses of wine.

Just to keep wordwise current, the December 15-16 ANP said that the Gilles Choukrounesque Mini Palais was now serving drunch.

Perhaps a drunch is nothing more than a late brunch? Or does it fit somewhere in between a nice flunch and an awesome slupper?

What a way to come to the end of 2008.

We eat this meal often at our house on Sundays...It is a result of being too busy and yet too tired to plan a formal meal...It can include wines, juices coffee, tea,and sodas. Breads, pancakes, pasta, cheeses, filet mignon, fruits, sausages, eggs, tarts, salads....and every dessert under the sun. We have been calling it "brelunner" at my place. It is easier than saying "Be quiet I kow you had no beakfast and lunch is a few hours past and it is too early for dinner, so eat and eat hearty as that is your meal for the day! :wink:

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

• 3 weeks later...

Jean-Claude Ribault, in this Wednesday-Thursday’s Le Monde wrote about drunch at the MiniPalais, now under the direction of the folks from l’Ami Louis with a single price (28 €) meal Sundays 6-11 PM with a soup or daily plate from the chalkboard, then salads, eggs, lox, cold meats, frites, veggies and desserts from the rolling cart.

John Talbott