• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Banh Mi in Atlanta?

maf

Can banh mi be found in the Atlanta area? Assuming the answer is yes, and that it involves Buford Highway, whrere can good banh mi be found in the Atlanta area?

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe

I'd start at that Buford Highway shopping center anchored by the Ranch 66, where there's a Vietnamese deli. I suggest that not because I've tried it (I haven't), but because 1) on a recent drive by, it was the only "banh mi" sign I saw, and 2) it's roughly in the center of the area, so you can work outward from there.

Please report back!

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I'd start at that Buford Highway shopping center anchored by the Ranch 66, where there's a Vietnamese deli. I suggest that not because I've tried it (I haven't), but because 1) on a recent drive by, it was the only "banh mi" sign I saw, and 2) it's roughly in the center of the area, so you can work outward from there.

Please report back!

Alternatively, go get a manicure at Nails by Joann on Beaver Ruin at Indian Trail and ask her where to get good "Banh Mi". She is also good for directing you towards a good bowl of Pho.

Update: I called her and asked. Joann says to go to Market 99 at buford Hwy, 8th & Square is the corner in the market they are on, look for a place called "Quoc Xuong". They have the very best one.

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)
Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

Please report back!

Alternatively, go get a manicure at Nails by Joann on Beaver Ruin at Indian Trail and ask her where to get good "Banh Mi". She is also good for directing you towards a good bowl of Pho.

Update: I called her and asked. Joann says to go to Market 99 at buford Hwy, 8th & Square is the corner in the market they are on, look for a place called "Quoc Xuong". They have the very best one.

That's Quoc Huong. 5150 Buford Hwy. They are definitely among the best. My other favorite is Lee's Bakery, closer in to town, 4005 Buford Hwy.

See a few Quoc Huong photos at http://flickr.com/search/?q=banh&w=59833804%40N00

Please report back!

That's Quoc Huong. 5150 Buford Hwy. They are definitely among the best. My other favorite is Lee's Bakery, closer in to town, 4005 Buford Hwy.

See a few Quoc Huong photos at http://flickr.com/search/?q=banh&w=59833804%40N00

I followed your flickr link and ended up drooling over the Xiao Long Bao at Chef Liu's. I'm making a trip this weekend to get some of that. I'm just in Norcross, so Buford Farmer's Market is going to be a waypoint along the way.

Do you know if the restaurant at Buford and Chamblee tucker that served all you can eat Dim Sum is still there? It's been to long since I explored that area.

Please report back!

There is a killer dim sum and chinese bbq in that same shopping center. Some killer looking roast pork and duck.

Ok, so I got excited, called up a buddy to join me, and headed over to Buford Hwy.

We went to Chef Liu first, we ordered the seaweed, sliced pig tongue, lamb kabobs, and Xiao long bao (juicy pork dumplings) it turned out to be quite a bit of food and was only $15.00 I'd like to thank Biskuit for pointing out this place on flickr.

We then headed over to Cook's Warehouse. The sidewalk sale was so-so. The accompanying wine store was better. We picked up a couple of bottles of chardonnay for our wives, knowing we would drink it too.

Afterwards we headed back over to Buford Hwy to try the Banh-Mi at Quoc Huong. The people there were super friendly, since we had just eaten we decided to order something as a snack. I was there to try the Banh Mi, so I ordered it with pork sausage ($2.00) and my buddy ordered the vietnamese eggrolls($5.99) from the chef's special menu section. Mine was good, the pork sausage turned out to be a head cheese. Beware the whole sliced jalapeno in this sandwich. I would not have minded had they seeded it and trimmed off the bitter white membrane. My buddy's dish came out with a large plate of green leaf lettuce with carrots, cucumber and basil and a basket of small pork eggrolls. This being a fairly foreign meal to us, we did not realize that his dish came with some assembly required. I had a suspicion that he was supposed to roll up the veggies in the lettuce leaf and dip it in the provided sauce. We also should have looked closer on entry, they only take cash, so I had to dash out to a ATM around the corner. When I got back My friend Dave told me the propritors had instructed him on how he should have eaten his eggrolls, rolled up with the veggies in the lettuce leaf and dipped in the sauce. Incidentally, the Banh Mi are buy 5 and get one free. That is a healthy quantity of food for $10, most everything else on the menu was pretty cheaply priced too. I shall be returning to both places.

We then headed to Buford Highway Farmer's Market. It was nicer than I remember it, but you could smell the seafood counter in the back when you walked in the door. As we were pressed for time I didn't get to peruse every item in every aisle as I normally would. I did look for palm sugar but did not find it. :(

Later that evening we made dinner, the women wanted hamburgers. fries and tots and we drank our wine with it. The wines were a 2004 "Le Pierre"($37.50), it was everything we like in a chardonnay, crisp with apples, pears, almonds, and a nice oaky-buttery undertone. We loves our oak. The other was a "Au bon Climat"($45.00), this was just as excellent but not ask oaky as we like and a hint more fruity. I can't remember the vintage on that one.

I will check this out on our next trip to Atlanta. If these are as good as they sound, they may supplant cubans as my favorite sandwich.

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe

We went to Chef Liu first, we ordered the seaweed, sliced pig tongue, lamb kabobs, and Xiao long bao (juicy pork dumplings) it turned out to be quite a bit of food and was only $15.00 I'd like to thank Biskuit for pointing out this place on flickr.

Glad you liked it. Here are the flickr phtos for anyone interested - http://flickr.com/search/?ss=2&w=59833804%...chef+liu&m=text

Maf - banh mi is a great sandwich. For first timers, the BBQ pork or chicken is the "safest" - but the "dac biet" (I think that's what it's called) is what I'd recommend - it is a mix of meats, including pate, which adds a lot of depth.

• 7 months later...

Have since tried both Lee's and Quoc Huong. Both were good, but both had a mayo-ish sauce that I wasn't expecting. Lee's had several varities on the menu board, but I need to learn my sandwich names. The "special" had a strange meat that included some nasty, bony morsels, like a bad hotdog. The safer BBQ pork was good, but I would have liked this with a pate added (which is what I was looking for on the special).

Quoc Huong had no menu, so I managed to get the pork one again (scared of the nasty meat this time). Everyone was eating pho and getting banh mi to go afterwards. The waitstaff were nice, but again I felt language barriers were keeping me from getting better food. I wish I has a friend who speaks the language.

Thanks for the recs, really enjoyed the sandwiches.

Edited by maf (log)

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe

I think Pho Bac is inthe same shopping center as Quoc Huong, about two doors to the left. I've eaten there before and not only is it great food, it's cheap. Can't beat that.

Maybe with some internet research I can figure out what's on the different sandwiches. Same for the pho- I'm not man enough to get the pho with tendon on purpose.

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe

• 2 years later...

Hello,

Yes! The Banh Mi Sandwich can be found in Atlanta. Lee’s Bakery and Quoc Huong, both unassuming restaurants on Buford Highway in Northeast Atlanta sell the Banh Mi. My personal favorite is Lee's Bakery. It's on Buford Highway near the Claremont Highway intersection before the Quick Trip. The ingredients are high quality, fresh, and largely homemade that day. And cheap! The chicken is good, but I prefer the pork. Here's an article about this place worth reading: http://www.hmgdesigns.net/banhmi/

• 1 month later...