• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Abbaye de Cîteaux

We were finally in the area with part of a free day and I insisted we go the the Abbaye de Cîteaux and try to buy some of their famous but incredibly hard to source cheese. We were in luck in that the cheese was both in season and in stock. We bought a huge (9" x 1/1/2") wheel for 11€. The price is 15€ a kilo.

This is a lovely cheese, slightly smelly, oozy but nutty and mellow in taste. Worth a go if you are driving the Cote d'Or. It's only some 10km off the main Beaune-Dijon wine route. We shared half the wheel with our host and the balance is a diminishing souvenir in our refrigerator.

eGullet member #80.

We were finally in the area with part of a free day and I insisted we go the the Abbaye de Cîteaux and try to buy some of their famous but incredibly hard to source cheese.  We were in luck in that the cheese was both in season and in stock.  We bought a huge (9" x 1/1/2") wheel for 11€.  The price is 15€ a kilo. 

This is a lovely cheese, slightly smelly, oozy but nutty and mellow in taste.  Worth a go if you are driving the Cote d'Or.  It's only some 10km off the main Beaune-Dijon wine route.  We shared half the wheel with our host and the balance is a diminishing souvenir in our refrigerator.

For the geographically challenged, it's also available (for a limited time as well) at Alléosse.

Edited by John Talbott for spelling.

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 5 months later...
For the geographically challenged, it's also available (for a limited time as well) at Alleose.
At least yesterday, it was available in the Galeries Lafayette food hall.

And for Vinotas-

I wish we could get it here in NYC.
A quick search shows that Dean and Deluca carries it and maybe Murray's.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 2 months later...

Yes, yes, yes -- Abbaye de Cîteaux is absolutely my favourite cheese! :wub: For those in the US, be aware that while you can purchase it from Murray's or at some Dean & Deluca stores, it will not taste quite the same because it must be aged for an additional 60 days. :hmmm:

• 1 month later...
Yes, yes, yes -- Abbaye de Cîteaux is absolutely my favourite cheese!  :wub: For those in the US, be aware that while you can purchase it from Murray's or at some Dean & Deluca stores, it will not taste quite the same because it must be aged for an additional 60 days.  :hmmm:

Don't quote us, but we find that many (French) cheeses are most delicious several/many months after their suggested "consume by" dates.

eGullet member #80.