• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Truffle salt

mcohen

I got some truffle salt from Napa Style as a gift, but I don't know what to do with it. Other than with eggs, what can I do with it? Unless I can think of something else to do with it, I think I might end up re-gifting it.

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com suggests the following:

"Truffle Salt

A specialty imported from Italy. This blend of ground Italian black truffle and sea salt is irresistible in the kitchen. Try over cooked egg dishes, tossed in pasta, on pâté or foie gras, or sprinkled on buttered popcorn and served with a glass of spumante! A “special occasion” condiment!.

sea salt with black truffles (buy truffle salt)

Suggested Uses

Eggs

Sprinkle truffle salt in your egg-based dishes—scrambled eggs, baked eggs, omelettes

Risotto

Truffle salt adds a subtle richness to creamy risottos

Potatoes

Use truffle salt in place of regular salt on baked potatoes or French fries

Bruschetta

Make bruschetta with extra virgin olive oil or butter, sprinkle with truffle salt

Salad Dressings

Mix with olive oil before making vinaigrette to make a “truffled salad dressing”

Baked Pasta

Stir a teaspoon into a cup of ricotta cheese and use the truffled cheese for baked pasta dishes

Accent Foie Gras

Sprinkle over foie gras or pate

Sushi

Use truffle salt instead of soy sauce to add flavor to sushi or other raw fish dishes

Cream Sauce

Truffle your cream sauces with this easy condiment

Truffle Salt on Pasta

Toss pasta with Truffle & Salt and truffle oil for a dish with simple elegance

Truffled Marinades

Use in marinades to add deep truffle flavor to cooked meats

Popcorn with Truffle Salt

Open a bottle of chilled champagne and pour into glasses, pop some popcorn, add butter and truffle salt and toast to this fun idea!"

I am sure you can find some great use in this list without regifting it.

Kay

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com ....Try over cooked egg dishes, tossed in pasta, on pâté or foie gras, or sprinkled on buttered popcorn and served with a glass of spumante! A “special occasion” condiment!.

Black truffles, foie gras..... and spumante! Yeah, totally makes sense. :blink:

A couple of suggestions for the salt as a finish:

Make a pizza from leftover pulled coq au vin, sauteed mushrooms, and asiago cheese, finished with a drizzle of warmed yogurt as it comes out of the oven.

A warm baby spinach and scallop salad, dressed with the scallop liquor. (Butter, a smidge of pork fat, and deglazed with white wine.)

Try some on fries!  Last year I topped a batch of horse fat fries (now those are good) with truffle salt (it made sense at the time) and they were over the top delicious.  In fact, two of the diners ran out to purchase their own truffle salt shortly after that meal.  :smile:

Where in Toronto are they cooking with horse fat? :huh:

It might be fun to try it sprinkled on raw oysters.

Or maybe very plain pasta that's been tossed with just butter and maybe a few sauteed mushrooms.

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

Sprinkle on popcorn! I have Bacon Salt (I know, not even in the same class), but I didn't really know what to do with it at first and have found that it is the ultimate topping for popcorn.

There's nothing so bad in this life that pork fat can't make better.

My Blog

• 1 year later...

I received some truffle salt for Christmas and have been wondering how best to use it. Not the same as whole truffles, certainly, but this topic is a good place to consider the possibilities. I had already decided to try it with sea scallops--surf and turf, mmmm. Popcorn sounds completely and deliciously decadent.

Yes, we use it constantly on popcorn. Just a bit of truffle oil and truffle salt.

Maybe a touch of pecorino, really just a touch sprinkled on the top.

(start off with just regular olive oil to pop in, not the microwave, but in a pot on the stove).

That's all you need, delicious.

Philly Francophiles

• 2 weeks later...

I really like it in rubs for meat. It helps in part the truffle flavor while also taking advantage of the fact that its a salt. I really like it on poached eggs that sit on top of some toasted bread with a little bit of Dubliner cheese on top of the toast. As someone said above its great on pasta. Just do a very simple fresh pasta tossed with some butter and cheese and some of the salt sprinkled on top.

• 1 month later...

Goodness, how did I miss this topic?

Roasted butternut squash! Roasted cauliflower! Eggs! Risotto! I've even used it in the no-knead bread (although it lost a lot of flavor in the baking). I always use it to season meats. I :wub: truffle salt!

I sprinkle it on chicken and roast it. Then I put it in mashed potatoes. Then I use a little more to season the gravy.

Dean & Deluca sells it for less than Napastyle, FWIW.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

• 1 month later...
Try some on fries!  Last year I topped a batch of horse fat fries (now those are good) with truffle salt (it made sense at the time) and they were over the top delicious.  In fact, two of the diners ran out to purchase their own truffle salt shortly after that meal.  :smile:

Where in Toronto are they cooking with horse fat? :huh:

I don't know about Montreal, but I'm pretty sure I've had fries in horse fat at Frit Alors (the unpretentious chain) in Montreal - yummy :)

pretty much anything that you would finish with salt. Very good with mushroom dishes, ie mushroom risotto, - but again towards the end. Anything eggs, pasta, scallops, roast chicken. It's pretty much all been said - I'm just reaffirming its yumminess.