• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

First food when you get off an island

Ribeye steak, grilled medium rare over fruit wood; baked potato with all the fixings; creamed spinach; rolls; cobbler with ice cream for dessert.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

The Quinn's Ultra burger, I'm pretty sure....(rare)

8oz wagyu beef burger on brioche bun. Under the burger is braised shortribs, the top bun is spread with duck rillette and the beef is topped with 3 oz of foie gras. Side of fries served with foie demi glace.

Sigh...Think I'll need to go there tonite....

Gnomey

The GastroGnome

(The adventures of a Gnome who does not sit idly on the front lawn of culinary cottages)

I did live on an island for a few years, I moved to Guam to live with my dad in my teens. There was precious little fresh dairy, there, and no 'real' Italian or Italian American food as far as the eye can see.

After I got home, back to NJ, I walked down the block to my favorite deli, ordered a whole roast beef and provolone sub with everything (lettuce, tomato, hot pepper relish, salt, pepper, oregano, mayo and oil and vinegar). I sat right down on the stoop of the deli, and ate that whole goopy, thing, and washed it down with a quart of chocolate milk.

Later, Sicilian pizza, topped with sausage, onions, and peppers.

I suppose it depends on which island, but . . .

fresh corn on the cob

boiled new potatoes

many steamed lobsters

much garlic butter

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I suppose it depends on which island, but . .  .

fresh corn on the cob

boiled new potatoes

many steamed lobsters

much garlic butter

during this whole thread I was sure mine would have been a big piece of beef tenderloin with a huge slab of foie gras on top...but now I think I am going to sit down with you instead... :smile:

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

A BLT and a dessert involving mountains of whipped cream.

and ice cream, and maybe a good brownie with chocolate sauce, or maybe just chocolate puddin' cake with tons of whipped cream, or maybe even gingerbread with my Nana's hot lemon sauce (whimper...) :wub: The blt is, however, manditory! :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Blueberry pancakes slathered in butter and the richest maple syrup I can find

Venison pan sausage

Applewood-smoked bacon

Two eggs over-medium

Chocolate milk chased with

Triple espresso chased with

Fuller's London Porter

Regards,

Edited by TBoner (log)

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, this posting is about the first food I MUST have when I get ON to an island, in this case, the island I call home, Great Britain.

And its a drink, not food: tea. A fine strong aromatic cuppa. There isn't any place else on earth that serves good British tea, and I've tried and tried and tried, all over the world, to make it. (using British tea and all.....).

So within as few minutes of landing as possible, I must be sipping from a warm mug of "builders tea": strong and milky. no sugar for me, thank you.

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com