• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

First food when you get off an island

If I had to cook something, it most likely would be spaghetti or some sort of pasta and tomato sauce with a lot of shaved parm.

I pretty sure though, that all the while that I was stranded, I probably would of been wishing and dreaming of being served a good burger or steak, medium rare with french fries or pizza maybe...and chocolate cake with coffee ice cream.

:biggrin:

I'd go to the Fat Duck and order Sound of the Sea... I miss my island. :biggrin:

But if I have to make my own food after all I've been through it would probably be something like a soup and a sandwich of some sort. I generally eat pretty simple when I'm cooking for myself unless I'm testing ideas.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

That puttanesca does sound good, and it's probably my #1 default meal, but in this situation I'd probably go with something a bit heartier like a sicilian pizza topped with broccoli rabe, roasted garlic and sausage, accompanied by a Southern Italian red wine. I'd probably eat the whole thing, too. Well...I'd give it a good shot, that's for sure...

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Well, since I'd be so skinny and all from being trapped on that island I'd make a blue-cheese topped, medium rare hamburger with salty-spicy fries and a chocolate-black cherry milkshake. Yep.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

A big pot of spicy boiled gulf shrimp, with corn, potatoes and mushrooms. Lots of cold beer on the side.

Like petite tête de chou, I plan on being really skinny when I get off that island, with the need to fatten up. And I hope I have a great tan. Nothing pairs as well with boiled shrimp as a great tan. :raz:

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

Ribeye steak medium rare and smothered with sauteed mushrooms. I may not wait until I have to go to a desert isle. Maybe have it now just in case.

And a jug of real Italian Chianti.

Edited by BarbaraY (log)

Buttermilk fried chicken with homemade gooey macaroni & cheese, crisp green beans, and hot flaky biscuits. Maybe some barbecue pork ribs on the side. White wine. Peach cobbler with ice cream for dessert.

:wub:

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Man..you guys sound like u would make some tasty dishes. i would eat probably all of ur suggestions if I were to go to the electric chair.. lol. I'm a bbq fan so i'd probably throw a bbq..

speaking of that.. check out this link if u get a chance: is a cool entertaining recipe widget with tons of appetizer, dessert, bbq ideas..etc.

http://www.kraftfoods.com/philly/recipewidget.htm

I'm going with Barbara and Viva. And NOT with Mr. Lector.

But my choice...shredded beef deep fried tacos(X-tra grease) with lots of queso fresca and cold, frosty, icy beer.

Edited by s_hustava (log)

Oh, go put on your big girl panties and just DEAL with it!

I would go for something easy to eat and eat and eat....

Probably a huge plate of whole wheat pasta with a rose sauce, garlic bread and a huge green salad. Simple, simple food, but I could shovel it in.

Second meal would probably be a thousand avocado rolls.

Meat loaf, mashed potatoes with half a cow's worth of butter, and onion gravy, with juicy sweet corn and peas. And a chocolate shake.

Edited by pax (log)
“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”