• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maison Niépce, chambre & table d'hote

Margaret Pilgrim

Maison Nièpce is an extraordinary town house that dates from the early 18th Century. John and Huguette have kept the old character of the house while providing every comfort. Rooms are huge. We actually had a several room suite for only 80€.

While breakfasts are quite ample, it is the dinner that shines. As chef, John prepares local products with skill and finesse. Perfectly roasted Bresse chicken, sauteed veal medalions, a huge plateau of local cheeses nightly, an amazing sugar tarte, local strawberries, Cote Challonaise wines. Dinners were a ridiculously low 20€ per person, while wine which was extra was billed at a very reasonable 10€ per person for what seemed like an endless quantity. Conversation around the table was bilingual and lasted well past the last bite of dessert.

Maison Niépce is a perfect place to stop on the drive to the south. Several of the guests were Belgians who had left home that morning. A very cordial and delicious address.

eGullet member #80.

Margaret - It sounds really good.

The post has prompted me to add this place to the interactive map of restaurants outside of Paris. I've used a new symbol, a Yellow one, to designate B & B type places. When I get time I'll do some searching as I know that you and others have posted nice B & B's in the past.

Thanks.

This is in the Alistair Sawday guide also....but of more interest to someone like me is this is where allegedly the first ever photograph was taken - you will find the picture in many history of photography books and it does seem to match with the look of the house.....

Gav

"A man tired of London..should move to Essex!"

....more interest to someone like me is this is where allegedly the first ever photograph was taken....

If this is your interest, really worth a visit is MuseeNiepce on the Saone quai in Challon. Fabulous. I asked if I could take pictures, and was given a form to fill out declaring that I was an amateur. I noticed that there was a longer form for professionals with different prohibitions. A fascinating museum covering the earliest to state of the art photography. 3€ admission.

eGullet member #80.