• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Difference in whipped cream 'mouthfeel'?

Kim Shook

I have always thought that there was a discernable difference in texture between whipped cream that is shot from a charger and whipped cream that is whipped by a mixer or by hand. It seems to me that most restaurants would use the charger and that most home cooks would use the mixer/hand method (if not the can - but that's another topic/confession :wink: ). When I have whipped cream in most restaurants it seems airier and more insubstantial than when I whip it myself at home. It's possible that the restaurants are using better quality cream than I have access to, but mine feels better. Does this make sense? Am I right? Or am I just fooling myself?

I have always thought that there was a discernable difference in texture between whipped cream that is shot from a charger and whipped cream that is whipped by a mixer or by hand.  It seems to me that most restaurants would use the charger and that most home cooks would use the mixer/hand method (if not the can - but that's another topic/confession :wink: ).  When I have whipped cream in most restaurants it seems airier and more insubstantial than when I whip it myself at home.  It's possible that the restaurants are using better quality cream than I have access to, but mine feels  better.  Does this make sense?  Am I right?  Or am I just fooling myself?

It's not you, it's them.

I submit the theory that you are using pretty close to the same cream, and if anything, the restaurant version is a bit lower quality than the one you probably buy. They aren't going to go for a premium brand, after all.

When it's shot from the charger, it's super aerated, so you are not in the least wrong that the texture and mouthfeel is different. You also get less cream than if you had hand whipped, because super aerated means it goes further. And disappears a lot faster, as you may have noticed 30 seconds after you get it when all you are left with is a tiny smear of cream where the fluffy pile was.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

i think it depends on what kind of restaurant as well...

your typical cheesecake factory is using a huge machine to make the whipped cream

independent restaurants (higher end) are going to be making their own whipped cream for each service...just using a kitchen aid

denny's is using the can

etc.

you'll also note that the canned stuff is usually lower in butterfat than whipping or heavy cream in the store. That means it is lighter in the mouth (more"foamy") and deflates quicker. If you whip cream with different percentages of butterfat they will have different mouthfeels too. We had this happen in a restaurant before -- when the dairy purveyor brought in 36% cream all our mousse recipes suddenly went wrong since they were based on 40% butterfat heavy cream.

And finally if you whip cream in a food processor or Pacojet it will have a different texture also -- since the butterfat is clumped but not "aerated."

what about the differences between chantilly cream (made with powdered sugar) vs. regular granulated sugar. I personally like granulated sugar, which I add after the cream gets a little frothy, but I know other chefs prefer the powdered sugar version, which I think tastes pasty.

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe