• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Going to Singapore-- anyone up for a gathering?

So it looks like the Mr. and I will be going to Singapore in the second half of August, possibly for as long as a week and a half. This will be our first trip, but I'm sure we'll be back later as well. We're not sure yet where we will be staying.

I've been checking out the many fabulous threads on dining possibilities, but it's always more fun to visit with a crowd, in my opinion...so, is there anyone who would potentially be up for a meetup or several?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Haven't been in for a while, so I just saw your post.

Which part of Aug will you be here? I'll be away early-mid Aug but will be happy to meet up with a fellow egulleteer if you want. It's always lovely to meet new folks who are into eating as much as I am :))) PM me if you are keen.

Cheers.

Amateur cook, professional foodie!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

Haven't been in for a while, so I just saw your post.

Which part of Aug will you be here? I'll be away early-mid Aug but will be happy to meet up with a fellow egulleteer if you want. It's always lovely to meet new folks who are into eating as much as I am :))) PM me if you are keen.

Cheers.

Hey, sorry, I haven't checked the boards in a while either! :biggrin:

It looks like we will be there from about the 19th to the 26th of August (leaving early morning on the 26th. Getting together would be cool!

Hey, sorry, I haven't checked the boards in a while either! :biggrin:

It looks like we will be there from about the 19th to the 26th of August (leaving early morning on the 26th.  Getting together would be cool!

Well, that should gives you plenty of time to explore our small island and do some serious eating. Have you gone through some of the other threads on S'p regd the food here? In a recent thread on dining in S'p, I listed a couple of my favourite restaurants and hawker centres but am happy to give you a few more suggestions if you need. Where are you coming in from? How adventurous are you when it comes to street side eating? Though it has been said that S'p street food is rather "sanitised" :)

OB

Amateur cook, professional foodie!

Well, that should gives you plenty of time to explore our small island and do some serious eating. Have you gone through some of the other threads on S'p regd the food here? In a recent thread on dining in S'p, I listed a couple of my favourite restaurants and hawker centres but am happy to give you a few more suggestions if you need. Where are you coming in from? How adventurous are you when it comes to street side eating? Though it has been said that S'p street food is rather "sanitised" :)

OB

Yep, I've been looking at some of the other threads and getting some ideas together (thanks for your recent recommendations in the master thread). We're living in Thailand at the moment, and will probably be back in Singapore more than once in the next 2.5 years or so...so whatever we don't get this trip, we can come back for!

For street-side eating, I'm fine with it as long as it conforms to the basic "common sense" stuff (the important bits on ice, turnover is high, etc.) So "sanitized" is okay with me, as long as the taste is good! We haven't done as much street-side eating here in Thailand as we have intended to, but that's mostly because we're not used to the hot climate yet and don't often feel like staying outside!

I intend to pick up a copy of Makansutra ASAP.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so I'm here now, and enjoying the city!

I got in late Tuesday night, and my husband had to work late on Wednesday, so we haven't had a whole lot of opportunity to get out and about yet (although I did take a stroll down Orchard Road on Wednesday, and had chicken rice from a food court-- yum!)

Last night we did try a place that we were rather pleased with: Oomphatico's in the Tanglin Mall, next to where we are staying. I understand it's a new restaurant, and we really enjoyed the food-- a big emphasis on organic, gluten-free and other healthy "hippy" foods (their words), but with a big range of other stuff as well, and a creative twist. What we tried was very tasty (I had an open-face ham and Swiss sandwich with white sauce, served on a savory waffle, and my husband's dessert, a "Floating Island"-style meringue with caramel sauce, was to die for) and rather reasonably priced. It was rather raucous when we first entered, thanks to a child's birthday party, but after that cleared out it was a lot more pleasant.

Tonight I think we may head down to Clarke Quay to walk around (touristy and overpriced, or so I've heard, but we figured what the heck) and we'll definitely be hitting the hawker centres and such in the next few days.