• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

West LA or Santa Monica Asian Restaurants

ramdav

I'm a newbie here - been lurking for awhile, learning a lot and enjoying the forums. Figured this might be a good way to break the ice and actually post something. I'll be in LA for a week or two and I'm looking for some eating options that won't break the bank - as the per-diem I'm getting this trip ain't exactly generous. I love all asian - but I'm game for just about anything. Especially interested in the food - not the scene or the decor. I'll be staying in the bev hills area, but will have a car. Any and all local knowledge will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance -

David

There is one good Chinese restaurant closer to Santa Monica (West LA):

HOP KEE SEAFOOD RESTAURANT

11901 Santa Monica Blvd.

Los Angeles, CA 90025

TEL (310) 268-2463

They are right at the corner of Santa Monica Blvd and Armacost Ave.

This place used to be called "Hop Li" but apparently changed names (or ownership?). Not sure what the story is. We ate there in 2006. Hopefully still there. When we were there, Hop Kee was just grand-opened and packed.

Cantonese stir-fries, seafood, Cantonese BBQ items, etc.. The food is surprisingly good and is comparable to those in the San Gabriel Valley. Take it from me who grew up in Hong Kong. :smile:

Prices are quite reasonable.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

I'm a newbie here - been lurking for awhile, learning a lot and enjoying the forums.  Figured this might be a good way to break the ice and actually post something.  I'll be in LA for a week or two and I'm looking for some eating options that won't break the bank - as the per-diem I'm getting this trip ain't exactly generous.  I love all asian - but I'm game for just about anything.  Especially interested in the food - not the scene or the decor.  I'll be staying in the bev hills area, but will have a car.  Any and all local knowledge will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance -

David

RJ -

Thanks - I've done that drive often, get a little intimidated by all the choices and end up going someplace I've already been. Then wondering what I've missed. Any specific places you think are special?

DR

There is one good Chinese restaurant closer to Santa Monica (West LA):

HOP KEE SEAFOOD RESTAURANT

11901 Santa Monica Blvd.

Los Angeles, CA 90025

TEL (310) 268-2463

They are right at the corner of Santa Monica Blvd and Armacost Ave. 

This place used to be called "Hop Li" but apparently changed names (or ownership?).  Not sure what the story is.  We ate there in 2006.  Hopefully still there.  When we were there, Hop Kee was just grand-opened and packed.

Cantonese stir-fries, seafood, Cantonese BBQ items, etc..  The food is surprisingly good and is comparable to those in the San Gabriel Valley.  Take it from me who grew up in Hong Kong.  :smile:

Prices are quite reasonable.

Thanks - this sounds great.

DR

• 3 weeks later...

Get on the 10 FWY and head east. For great tacos you can go to Denise's on Olympic blvd. Take the 10 to the 5 south and get off Ditman, then left on Oly for a block or two. Denise's is on the corner on the right and has a big sign. Or take the 10 to the 110 north and go to Highland park. Drive down York blvd. and try whatever looks good. I like tacos Michoacan (not connected to the horrible chain of a similar name) on York. For Asian take the 10 east to Atlantic then go north to Valley Blvd. and make a left. Turn left into the 99 ranch market shopping center and go up stairs and try any number of places. If you want to try something out of the ordinary try some authentic sezchuan at 301 east Garfield. The name changes frequently but it is always the same restaurant. Right on the corner with a caddy corner entrance. Very, very spicy. The choices abound out there.

If you wish to eat more locally to where you are staying expect to spend more and get less. Asian is a non issue in that part of LA IMHO so try some mexican or burgers. Culver City is only 5 minutes straight down La Cienega blvd. (w/o traffic) and you can find Fathers Office, Beacon, Xotic to name but three. A little more upscale and you have Fords, Fraiche as well as others. Honey Kettle fried chicken is there as well. A bit pricey but oh so good.

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

Get on the 10 FWY and head east. For great tacos you can go to Denise's on Olympic blvd. Take the 10 to the 5 south and get off Ditman, then left on Oly for a block or two. Denise's is on the corner on the right and has a big sign. Or take the 10 to the 110 north and go to Highland park. Drive down York blvd. and try whatever looks good. I like tacos Michoacan (not connected to the horrible chain of a similar name) on York.  For Asian take the 10 east to Atlantic then go north to Valley Blvd. and make a left. Turn left into the 99 ranch market shopping center and go up stairs and try any number of places. If you want to try something out of the ordinary try some authentic sezchuan at 301 east Garfield. The name changes frequently but it is always the same restaurant. Right on the corner with a caddy corner entrance. Very, very spicy.  The choices abound out there.

If you wish to eat more locally to where you are staying expect to spend more and get less. Asian is a non issue in that part of LA IMHO so try some mexican or burgers. Culver City is only 5 minutes straight down La Cienega blvd. (w/o traffic) and you can find Fathers Office, Beacon, Xotic to name but three. A little more upscale and you have Fords, Fraiche as well as others.  Honey Kettle fried chicken is there as well. A bit pricey but oh so good.

Thanks. I'll be back out there in a week or two and will add these to the list.

DR

Yes, for great Chinese or Vietnamese food you really need to be prepared to head east on the 10, into the San Gabriel Valley, and for the best Thai, head into Hollywood. If you're hanging around on this board then it's safe to assume you care about the difference between decent eats and stellar ones, and are willing to drive for them.

A few of my favorites:

Golden Deli (Vietnamese), 815 W Las Tunas Drive, San Gabriel, CA, 91776 - (626) 308-0803

101 Noodle Express (Northern Chinese), 1408 E Valley Blvd., Alhambra, CA, 91801 - (626) 300-8654

Mei Long Village (Chinese), 301 W Valley Blvd., San Gabriel, CA, 91776 - (626) 284-4769

China Islamic, 7727 Garvey Ave., Rosemead, CA, 91770 - (626) 288-4246

Sea Harbour (dim sum), 3939 Rosemead Blvd., Rosemead, CA, 91770 - (626) 288-3939

Near you, Tacomiendo is a terrific home style Mexican joint, really much better than you'd expect to find on the west side! 4502 Inglewood Blvd., Culver City, CA, 90230 - (310) 915-0426

http://www.esotouric.com

Upcoming Esotouric bus adventures in Los Angeles include Pasadena Confidential, Route 66, Bukowki, Black Dahlia, Tom Waits, Raymond Chandler & more. eGullet members receive 15% off on any regular $58 tour when they supply their user name and say "MFK sent me!" Contact tours@esotouric.com to reserve.

Yes, for great Chinese or Vietnamese food you really need to be prepared to head east on the 10, into the San Gabriel Valley, and for the best Thai, head into Hollywood. If you're hanging around on this board then it's safe to assume you care about the difference between decent eats and stellar ones, and are willing to drive for them.

A few of my favorites:

Golden Deli (Vietnamese), 815 W Las Tunas Drive, San Gabriel, CA, 91776 - (626) 308-0803

101 Noodle Express (Northern Chinese), 1408 E Valley Blvd., Alhambra, CA, 91801 - (626) 300-8654

Mei Long Village (Chinese), 301 W Valley Blvd., San Gabriel, CA, 91776 - (626) 284-4769

China Islamic, 7727 Garvey Ave., Rosemead, CA, 91770 - (626) 288-4246

Sea Harbour (dim sum), 3939 Rosemead Blvd., Rosemead, CA, 91770 - (626) 288-3939

Near you, Tacomiendo is a terrific home style Mexican joint, really much better than you'd expect to find on the west side! 4502 Inglewood Blvd., Culver City, CA, 90230 - (310) 915-0426

Great stuff. And of course I drive for food. Hell, I'd hitchhike for some meals. Thanks for including addresses.

DR

Ummmm, Sawtelle Boulevard for all kinds of Japanese. That's just west of the 405 Freeway and you're looking for the stretch beginning at the intersection of Olympic and heading north from there for a few blocks.

Edited by JFLinLA (log)
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Ummmm, Sawtelle Boulevard for all kinds of Japanese.  That's just west of the 405 Freeway and you're looking for the stretch beginning at the intersection of Olympic and heading north from there for a few blocks.

I'd second the Sawtelle comment - there is good and reasonably priced Asian in west L.A.

Yakitoriya on Sawtelle is great if you like yummy chicken skewers! Be sure to try the chef's homemade ice cream for dessert.

Yakitoriya

11301 W Olympic Blvd

Los Angeles, CA 90064 Map

* (310) 479-5400

In Santa Monica, try Yabu. They do good Soba noodles and really interesting small dishes like fried okra and tataki beef. If you get the Soba noodles, don't forget to ask for some broth at the end.

Yabu Restaurant

11820 W Pico Blvd

* (310) 473-9757

If you are adventurous and want to drive for mile and miles definitely head east - I live near Thai Town (just east of Hollywood) and ADORE Ord Noodle for some delicious soups:

Here's a link: http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=ord+n...=Los+Angeles+CA

Jitlada Thai is a totally cult place, where L.A. foodies go to order $1000s of dollars worth of super hot yummy food (but it's cheap, they just order a lot!). The mussels are a MUST.

Here's a link: http://www.yelp.com/biz/jitlada-thai-resta...uery:Jit%20lada

I also recommend that you go to laweekly.com and check out Jonathan Gold's columns in the food section. He's our city's authority on cheap, authentic, delicious food.

Or screw the Asian food and go to In and Out Burger! Oh, and Fathers Office in Culver City for an amazing beer menu and the best burger in town. And Versailles (West Side) for delicious cuban food. Have fun!

Ummmm, Sawtelle Boulevard for all kinds of Japanese.  That's just west of the 405 Freeway and you're looking for the stretch beginning at the intersection of Olympic and heading north from there for a few blocks.

I'd second the Sawtelle comment - there is good and reasonably priced Asian in west L.A.

Yakitoriya on Sawtelle is great if you like yummy chicken skewers! Be sure to try the chef's homemade ice cream for dessert.

Yakitoriya

11301 W Olympic Blvd

* (310) 479-5400

In Santa Monica, try Yabu. They do good Soba noodles and really interesting small dishes like fried okra and tataki beef. If you get the Soba noodles, don't forget to ask for some broth at the end.

Yabu Restaurant

11820 W Pico Blvd

* (310) 473-9757

If you are adventurous and want to drive for mile and miles definitely head east - I live near Thai Town (just east of Hollywood) and ADORE Ord Noodle for some delicious soups:

Here's a link: http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=ord+n...=Los+Angeles+CA

Jitlada Thai is a totally cult place, where L.A. foodies go to order $1000s of dollars worth of super hot yummy food (but it's cheap, they just order a lot!). The mussels are a MUST.

Here's a link: http://www.yelp.com/biz/jitlada-thai-resta...uery:Jit%20lada

I also recommend that you go to laweekly.com and check out Jonathan Gold's columns in the food section. He's our city's authority on cheap, authentic, delicious food.

Or screw the Asian food and go to In and Out Burger! Oh, and Fathers Office in Culver City for an amazing beer menu and the best burger in town. And Versailles (West Side) for delicious cuban food. Have fun!

Man, I better sell this project just to spend enough time out there to try all these suggestions. Thanks. I'll be back in late august or early sept. And I plan to do some serious eating.

DR