• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Angostura Aromatic Bitters

eje

We've talked a bit about cocktails which feature Angostura Bitters over in the Bitters topic.

Thought I'd start a topic just about Angostura Bitters, as they are delicious.

A classic cocktail I've found that is a very good feature for Angostura bitters is the Imperial Cocktail.

Imperial Cocktail

1 Dash Maraschino. (1/3 tsp. Luxardo Maraschino)

1 Dash Angostura Bitters. (Be generous!)

1/2 French Vermouth. (1 1/2 oz Dolin Dry Vermouth)

1/2 Dry Gin. (1 1/2 oz Junipero Vermouth)

Stir well and serve with olive.

I used Junipero, as this is a 50-50 cocktail, so a gin with some spine works best. Plain old Tanqueray would also be a good choice. If you use a less aggressively junipered gin, like Plymouth, instead make the cocktail 2/3 Gin and 1/3 Dry Vermouth.

This is a much more complex and interesting cocktail than the simple ingredients would seem to indicate.

Other than Mr. Bolognese's Trinidad Especial, what cool cocktail uses for Angostura Bitters have you found?

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Thought I'd start a topic just about Angostura Bitters, as they are delicious.

I doubt you'd say that if you'd tried a shot of the stuff. :wacko:

"It's like drinking liquid Potpourri"

In all seriousness though, I came up with a drink for a Cointreau drinks comp in 2006 that called for a barspoon of Angostura. This drink also works served over ice.

Aperitivo Agrodolce

4 Medjool Dates

35ml Cointreau

25ml Campari

10ml Fresh Lemon Juice

1 Barspoon Angostura Bitters

Method: Dice up dates, add the Cointreau, Campari, lemon juice and Angostura, then shake hard with cubed ice.

Glass: Chilled cocktail glass

Garnish: Orange twist

Evo-lution - Consultancy, Training and Events

Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Bitters - Bitters

The Jerry Thomas Project - Tipplings and musings

Boy, this is a long list. I'd say the Pegu Club, Pisco Sour, and most Manhattan variations qualify, as do these favorites.

Ted Haigh's Barnum (Was Right) Cocktail:

• 2 oz gin (Plymouth here)
    1 oz Apry
    1/2 oz lemon
    2 generous dashes Angostura

Shake, strain, up, lemon twist.

Gary Regan's version of the Bennett Cocktail:

• 2 oz gin (a rare instance where Aviation gin works very well)
    1 oz lime
    1/2 1:1 simple syrup
    healthy dash Angostura bitters
    (dash green Chartreuse if you please)

Shake, strain, up.

www.cocktaildb.com's Master of the Hounds:

• 1 3/4 oz rye
    3/4 oz Cherry Heering
    2 dashes Angostura

Stir, strain, up with a brandied cherry.

drinkboy's Stargazer Cocktail:

• 1 1/2 oz rye
    1 1/2 Lillet blanc
    dash Angostura

Stir, strain, up, lemon twist.

Another from Haigh, the Widow's Kiss:

• 2 oz calvados (I use Laird's bonded apple brandy)
    1 oz Benedictine
    1 oz yellow Chartreuse
    2 dashes Angostura

Stir, strain, up.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Over in the Champagne Cocktails topic, Janet described a very tasty, low-alcohol bitters showcase:

I've been making a drink with grenadine (homemade; Pom mixed 1:1 with sugar) and bitters that's very good -- spicy and kind of medicinal (in fact, a friend suggested naming it "Dr. Robert").

So, Dr. Robert it is:

Pour .25 oz. grenadine and about 1/2 tsp. of Angostura bitters into a champagne flute and top with dry sparkling wine or champagne.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I like to have a shot of it after a big meal, about 1 oz. Kinda like Underberg. It tastes much better that potpourri, and you don't get stems caught in your teeth.

Angostura and Vanilla Bean ice cream is one of the best things EVER!

I have made fruit salads and put them in thoes as well and it kicks them up a notch as well.

Toby

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

Couple of drinks using 10 ml:

Free2One

3 parts Drambuie

2 parts Stone's Ginger Wine

1 part Angostura Bitters.

build on the rocks and stirred.

Jamie's Stephenson played with 10 ml of AAB during the Trinidad comp (which he won).

Easily Satisfied

40 ml Dranbuie

20 ml Velvet Falernum

10 ml Angostura Bitters

Glass Tumbler - Garnish Lime twist - (I think that it is buid)

Thanks for this topic, perfect to share it here, and lets see what you like?

Cheers

Mick

Cheers

www.BarNowOn.com

It seems there's a good reason that Angostura bitters was for a long time the last one standing.

Here's a plug for the Seelbach cocktail which calls for unusual amounts of bitters:

4 oz quality Champagne

1 - 1/2 oz bourbon whiskey

1/2 oz triple sec

7 dashes Peychaud's bitters

7 dashes Angostura bitters

And then of course Pink Gin. I'm partial to Ted Haigh's recipe in which he specifies "six goodly dashes of bitters."

ETA: BTW, has anyone noticed that newer bottles of Angostura are indicated as 44.75% alcohol? (instead of the usual 45%) What's that about?

Edited by brinza (log)

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

THE best hiccup cure I've ever come across:

Take a lemon wedge and dredge in sugar. Soak both sides with a few dashes of Angostura. Eat sweet Angostura fleshy goodness.

I found this while watching some TV show about Angostura and a person they interviewed was saying this is how they cured hiccups. I don't know how or why it works, but it does every time.

Cheers!

Marshall

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them. -Winston Churchill

Co-Author: The Scofflaw's Den