• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktails created by Jerry Thomas

evo-lution

I'm currently working on a drinks menu for a client, and plan on including a drink/s that were created by the hands of Professor Jerry Thomas.

I'm having a bit of difficulty finding out which drinks he created though, so thought I'd ask here and see if you lovely folks could help me out? :smile:

So, do we have a list of drinks that he created? Or drinks that he adapted and can take credit for.

EDIT- Did he create the Knickerbocker, White Lion, Martinez and Tom & Jerry, for example?

Many thanks in advance :wink: ,

Adam

Edited by evo-lution (log)

Evo-lution - Consultancy, Training and Events

Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Bitters - Bitters

The Jerry Thomas Project - Tipplings and musings

As far as I've heard (think this comes from Dave Wondrich) the only cocktail we know for sure was invented by JT was the Japanese Cocktail.

And that's brandy, orgeat, bitters and lemon peel, yeah? The name of the cocktail alone would work with the style of venue the menu is for. :smile:

Interesting that the Japanese cocktail is the only drink that we know for sure he created. Any ideas about who created the drinks I mentioned in my first post?

Hmmmm...

Evo-lution - Consultancy, Training and Events

Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Bitters - Bitters

The Jerry Thomas Project - Tipplings and musings

Add, perhaps, the Buck and Breck, detailed in my book, and what he called Lamb's Wool, whhich from his description of it was merely a Hot Buttered Rum that had been set alight so that the butter would pop and crackle like burning wool.

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895