• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork cheeks...

binkyboots

well... my quest to eat organic food has landed me with some cooking challenges! I've found a farm with onsite butchery :wub: and they are happy to cut almost any special order you request.

A few weeks ago while perusing the library copy of "pork and sons" I saw a recipe for pork cheeks bourgignon. Great thinks I, so I have 1.5kg cheeks arriving Thursday...

Has anyone cooked cheeks before? I'm thinking they'll be tender but will need a long slow cooking.

Moving away from the winey recipe, I was considering whether braising them in milk (with lemon, oregano and garlic) might be a workable (and tasty) option.

Any specialities I should try, as of right now I'm willing to give anything a shot :biggrin:

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

sear and braise low and slow like you say. i have never braised cheeks in milk but i have braised pork butt in milk and it works out great. the milk will seperate a bit but you can blend your remaining liquid with a touch of cream in a blender and strain. let us know how it works out.

I've never braised them in milk, but I have done it in wine or tomato based sauces a couple of times. They are great, but (as I'm sure you know) extremely fatty. They make a great bacon too. The fat is beautifully gelatinous but it makes for a rich dish.

I have one in the freezer right now and this threads got me contemplating braising it in tomato, slicing it relatively thick (maybe a 1/2 inch), frying it to crisp it up, and serving it with the tomato braising sauce freshened up with herbs. This might be good for summer.

nunc est bibendum...

• 1 year later...

Any thoughts on braising cheeks, stuffing them into pasta and maybe serving them in a broth? Will also peruse Pork and Sons and Babbo once I get back home.

Thanks.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

A few weeks ago while perusing the library copy of "pork and sons" I saw a recipe for pork cheeks bourgignon.  Great thinks I, so I have 1.5kg cheeks arriving Thursday...

Has anyone cooked cheeks before? I'm thinking they'll be tender but will need a long slow cooking.

"pork and sons" is a beautiful book, but I had bad luck with it. Three recipes I tried did not come out well, so I gave up.

In the winter I often braise Boston butt in milk following Marcella's instructions or pork loin in milk following Molly Stevens' instructions, the latter is our current favorite. I tried "pork & sons" recipe, and was hugely disappointed, the product could not be compared to either Marcella's or Molly's.

Please report, it could be me. Skipper

• 4 weeks later...

This spring I marinated cheeks in a orange and soy based marinade, then braised in a similar liquid, reduced the remaining liquid, and made pork cheek tacos, and some asian steam buns, and they were utterly fantastic and the cost me $.70 a pound. I still have 12 pounds in the freezer and my mind is wandering...

Confit pork cheeks are good. My fancy pork dish for a dinner party if I have time is from Gordon Ramsay's Recipes from a 3* Chef. Confit pork cheeks wrapped in finely sliced potato and crisped up. Served with tenderloin wrapped in pancetta. With a little black pudding, mushrooms, spinach, turnip puree and turnips.