• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A weekend foodie tour

Hi all,

we've got some friends staying with us who'd like to do a mini-gastronomic weekend in August (friday evening to sunday), getting out of london for a few days.

We're looking for somewhere only about 4 hours max from london and where we can get some good seafood (for one meal at least)

what you guys recommend doing/going?

Kent - Whistable, The Sportsman etc.

Suffolk - company shed (near Colchester), Southwold etc.

Somerset? Dorset?

Or maybe somewhere else entirely? Any suggestions welcome.

thanks

Fergal

I'm biased but will say North Essex/Suffolk. This is what you could do:

- Company Shed at West Mersea

- Banquet 1482(?) in Stanway Wyevale Garden centre! I know but it is a fabulous chinese restaurant with superb dim sum

- Crown at Stoke by Nayland for superb wine list.

- Sun Inn at Dedham for egulleteer Bakerestates italian gastropub plus great winelist.

- Crown at Bildeston - UK upcoming chef of the year in the GFG

- Pop into the Adnams shop in Hadleigh on the way back to the A12.

- Jimmy's Farm near Ipswich for a steak sarnie and stock up on great meat.

- Woodbridge - the Waterside Cafe by the river is very nice for lunch

- Orford - Crown and Castle

- Walberswick - Ship Inn - nice gastropub

- Aldeburgh - Lighthouse or 192 or fish and chips

- Southwold - the Adnams pub, can't remember its name

Edited by Gavin Convery (log)

Gav

"A man tired of London..should move to Essex!"

According to the Good Food Guide, you could do worse than go to Berkshire.

Though if I am also to be biased, I'd say come to the Lake District! There's nothing better than walking for 10 hours during the day, surrounded by the most stunning scenery, working up a hunger, then eating amazing food.

Gavin,

that is a great list. I've been to suffolk a few times but there are still plenty of gems you've mentioned which need some experiencing.

thanks

Fergal

According to the Good Food Guide, you could do worse than go to Berkshire.

Though if I am also to be biased, I'd say come to the Lake District! There's nothing better than walking for 10 hours during the day, surrounded by the most stunning scenery, working up a hunger, then eating amazing food.

So where's good to check out in Berkshire? (apart from the 3 star places!)

fergal

So where's good to check out in Berkshire? (apart from the 3 star places!)

fergal

Ignoring the places in Bray, I'm not quite sure where the Good Food Guide recommends, but the following should be worth a visit: l'Ortolan (but closed on Sunday); The Pot Kiln - booking recommended.

Another option might be The Vineyard, at Stockcross, although we haven't been there ourselves. I'm sure that there must be many other places at the good pub level.

What about Edinburgh? It's not expensive to get to, it has a lot of nice places, it's a beautiful city, it would satisfy the seafood requirement easily..

As an inhabitant of Berkshire it doesn't seem as nice as the posters above suggest, maybe I'm biased though.

If I am your princess, then where is my crown?