• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Basement Bistro - Earlton, NY

jauster

My husband managed to get us a reservation next week at the Basement Bistro in Earlton. Has anyone here been? What to expect? All I've read has been rave reviews from some very prominent sources. I am very excited!

And, on a lesser note, how do people dress?

Jennie Auster aka "GIT"

Gastronome in Training

• 2 months later...

Your visit has long since passed, and I'm sure you had a wonderful meal. I did, too, this past weekend, and I'd like to share the pics. I just put it on my own (non-food) blog; my article in full can be found here. But I'll include the images of the meal I had, as well as the descriptions (to the best of my ability) below:

Bread:

2919410644_506a3548f2_o.jpg

Housemade bread: A focaccia-style bread made with basil flowers, and a sort of "everything bread" made with homemade onion powder, among other things. Served with freshly-churned butter and olive oil imported from a customer's olive farm in Greece.

First Course:

2919429224_32539226e7_o.jpg

Charcuterie (all cured in-house, clockwise from top):

Goose "salami"

Icelandic lamb cured with coriander

Grass-fed beef brasaola

Kurobuta (Berkshire) pork "speck"

Small bites (from top):

Nasturtium flower, coated in rice flour and baked, served on a sunchoke puree*

Baby green beans wrapped in lamb prosciutto with heirloom carrot puree

Heirloom tomato with swiss chard and spinach powder

Cheeses (all made in-house, clockwise from top):

Blue cheese with sage

Camembert-style cheese

(unknown variety with fried parsley)

Earlton cheese (chef's own recipe)

Goat chevre with apple and nectarine confit

* It should be noted that most of his purees and sauces use a rutabaga stock at various reductions instead of cream or butter. It's amazing how much of a creamy texture this method gives a sauce without adding extra fat

Second Course:

2918580977_47506b1432_o.jpg

Savory Cones: Parsley-oil "cones" with pureed purple bush beans, green eggplant, and green sunflower seeds

Third Course:

2919425152_75eb1a2623_o.jpg

Salmon "BLT": Peachwood-smoked salmon, basil, heirloom tomato, lavender and marjoram aioli

Fourth Course:

2918577071_4255e1e299_o.jpg

Seafood course* (from left to right):

Peekytoe crab with squash blossom puree and cauliflower powder

Oyster poached in tomato water with heirloom carrot salad and squash seeds

Salt and pepper prawn with saffron cabbage "slaw"

* All seafood is provided by a vendor from Maine, who makes the Basement Bistro the first stop on the way to New York City

Fifth Course:

2918566315_afc0c4ed40_o.jpg

Puffball "Soup": Puffball mushroom puree with applewood smoked corn, watermelon radish flower

Sixth Course:

2919408216_43b56bf454_o.jpg

Frozen duo*:

Wild pink current sorbet

Oven-roasted peach gelato

* Instead of using sugar or another sweetener, he uses unripened grape juice to sweeten his frozen confections

Seventh Course:

2919406430_3408dd6a01_o.jpg

Bronze basil ice cream served atop an apple cucumber, with celery root slaw, icicle radish salad, beet powder, heirloom tomato powder, fried basil leaf

Eighth Course:

2919404762_74584f0316_o.jpg

Meat course (from left to right):

Sous-vide pork sirloin wrapped in venison bacon, silver shallot, delicato/buttercup squash puree, kohlrabi puree

Boiled "Kobe" (Wagyu) eye round, heirloom carrot and onions, pureed potatoes with swiss chard stems, candied swiss chard stem

Olive oil-cured duck confit with sumac, sea salt, butter turnip and wild burdock puree

Ninth Course:

2918556741_d97129b696_o.jpg

Gamay Noir grape granita

Tenth Course:

2918552599_3fed297af5_o.jpg

2918554283_d2ec8e9485_o.jpg

Cheese plate:

Roquefort-style blue cheese

unknown "fluffy" cheese

Maplewood-smoked pecorino-style cheese

Apples, grapes, plums, nectarines, air-dried and fresh blueberries

Chocolate "pudding": Tempered Valrhona chocolate with skim milk and blackberry

Eleventh Course:

2919458306_be2436f90f_o.jpg

Mulberry and blackberry sorbet

This place has only recently come across my radar. Thanks for the report and the photos.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz