• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

D&D resturant group future venture home and abroad

D&D resturant group is defently getting stronger and better possebli best representative is The Launceton Place new look.

They are from my understanding a company that is a very good company to work for with many future projects.If you look at Ramsay Holdings he has been given any chef who has stayed with him pretty much a resturant to run for him, great OPPERTUNITIES

If any one know what the group is working on or "Gossip" and do the Egullet beleive D&D will be so successful they would have the same aproach to give its long serving chefs a resturant of thiere own in the coming years?

D&D resturant group is defently getting stronger and better possebli best representative is The Launceton Place new look.

They are from my understanding a company that is a very good company to work for with many future projects.If you look at Ramsay Holdings he has been given any chef who has stayed with him pretty much a resturant to run for him, great OPPERTUNITIES

If any one know what the group is working on or "Gossip" and do the Egullet beleive D&D will be so successful they would have the same aproach to give its long serving chefs a resturant of thiere own in the coming years?

Absolutly no chance, i would be very interested to know where you have found they are a very good company to work for? i have only heard not very good things

They are attracting and employing some good chefs, but they pay silly salaries, probably more than you would imagine!!!

how much do you think a head chef should get paid for a 100 cover restaurant and small deli type thing?

Edited by LizzyWizzy (log)

Absolutly no chance, i would be very interested to know where you have found they are a very good company to work for? i have only heard not very good things

They are attracting and employing some good chefs, but they pay silly salaries, probably more than you would imagine!!!

how much do you think a head chef should get paid for a 100 cover restaurant and small deli type thing?

So they are bad to work for but they pay very good salaries?

So they are bad to work for but they pay very good salaries?

As for any good job in a big city like london, i would say at least 75 k a year plus sometype of benefit(bonus), i think that is very reasnoble salary for a 100 cover rest with a good turnover. io certanally think the chef is key to a resturant success and should be rewarded for it. most headchefs espacially in london work 80 hours plus . I beleive a success ful busy resturant can afford to pay the chef a good salary. Nowdays chef de parties get 23 k a year minmum.

However my intresset for this topics is not mainly based on a good salary, I think a chef would love a chance to be provided with a resturant to run with. many good chef do not get that oppertunity, I wondering if D&D will be able to offer this opertunityies for talented chefs.. And in that case i think they are a good company to work for and my understanding of D&D is fair. Of course thiere are many reason a company is good or bad, Ramsey who is proberly one of the hardest company to work for in term of expactation and level pressure also is at the moment the best company to provide big investment to get something up and running. look at broad resturant base he now holds from 3 star to good pub food. All his long term serving staff, of course they have work very hard and they now have something to show for it. this for me makes a great company.

Does egullet think D&D will reach that level and is anything in the Pipeline.?

I base the topic and from the article in resturant magazine listing of best resturant groups.

And also off thiere success ,espacially with Tristan Welsch reviews over the last couple of months. Have not been there yet , but would love to go.

Edited by Robot Coupe (log)

A cynical person might look at this thread cynically.

Terry Conran is trying to sell his 51% stake in D&D, having appointed Goldman Sachs a few months ago to tap up every sovereign investor, vulture fund and oil-rich foreign Johnny willing to pay for a social standing in London.

There was a rather ugly drop in the press a few weeks ago about D&D "beating the credit crunch" with revenue up 18% and operating profits ahead 10% to £4.6m. (Oddly, it forgot to explain that "operating profits" only include ongoing operations, so the figures would have been inflated by the opening of Skylon and acquisitions of Places Kensington and Launceston, but would not reflect the death of Zinc.) The press plants also mentioned that Sir Terry was after more than £100m for his stake; a realistic valuation would be less than half that.

Given D&D is likely to be under new ownership very soon, any promise made by current management should be treated with as much caution as you'd adopt when ordering the set lunch at Meza.

Edited by naebody (log)

not sure you make much sense.

you've only heard horrible things about them to work for, and in the same breath you concede that attract, retain some good chefs while paying them well.

confused much?

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

you've only heard horrible things about them to work for, and in the same breath you concede that attract, retain some good chefs while paying them well.

confused much?

i have heard many a bad thing about them as a company, also where in my statement did i say they retain chefs, i dont think so ?

4 chefs in 2 years at the Orrery, the supposed flag ship or was until it lost its michelin star!!

If a chef gets offered say £80,000 -£90,000 they will obviously think about taking the job, just because they pay well does not nessercerrily mean its a happy ship!

It will be intresting to see where there new band of chefs take the company and how long they last

If they are such a good company why was almost every chef in London and every agency in the country approached for one of there last positions, surely if they had a good reputation, there would be a que of chefs at the door for that salary, also i know a lot of people who will not deal with them now to there lack of proffessionalism in the recruitment process!

at 54.5 degrees centigrade, i refused to be served unless it was with truffles but they were too tight so they tried to use burnt brioche crumbs :raz:

I am glad this issue has generated well tought comments, Intressting that they are aproching so many chefs,

Does any one know about the future projects they have lined up, they did talk about some outside UK.

confused much?

i have heard many a bad thing about them as a company, also where in my statement did i say they retain chefs, i dont think so ?

4 chefs in 2 years at the Orrery, the supposed flag ship or was until it lost its michelin star!!

If a chef gets offered say £80,000 -£90,000 they will obviously think about taking the job, just because they pay well does not nessercerrily mean its a happy ship!

It will be intresting to see where there new band of chefs take the company and how long they last

If they are such a good company why was almost every chef in London and every agency in the country approached for one of there last positions, surely if they had a good reputation, there would be a que of chefs at the door for that salary, also i know a lot of people who will not deal with them now to there lack of proffessionalism in the recruitment process!

obviously the attracting and employing some good chefs indicated retention. employing being the present tense operative.

as for the rest of your 'claims' I'm not sure if you're a disgruntled ex-employee or merely trading in as yet unsubstantiated gossip.

at 54.5 degrees centigrade, i refused to be served unless it was with truffles but they were too tight so they tried to use burnt brioche crumbs :raz:

I am glad this issue has generated well tought comments, Intressting that they are aproching so many chefs,

Does any one know about the future projects they have lined up, they did talk about some outside UK.

I understand there is a new york restaurant in the offing.

but know nothing more than that.

obviously the attracting and employing some good chefs indicated retention.  employing being the present tense operative. 

as for the rest of your 'claims' I'm not sure if you're a disgruntled ex-employee or merely trading in as yet unsubstantiated gossip.

Do not try and confuse me with all this present tense operative!!!!

I am niether of the above just offering my opinion on a matter which have some very good sources of information

If i m an ex employee you sound like the managing director!!!

obviously the attracting and employing some good chefs indicated retention.  employing being the present tense operative. 

I am niether of the above just offering my opinion on a matter which have some very good sources of information

Right. :shock:

so friend of disgruntled ex employee. meh, much the same thing.

Edited by Scott (log)

Right. :shock:

so friend of disgruntled ex employee. meh, much the same thing.

definatly not, but your obviously convinced!!!