• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'm opening a restaurant...Oh S&%T!

gfron1

Rob, re: suppliers - the squeaky wheel gets the grease. You have to be as much of a hardass as you can be - without being an asshole, of course - a nice, straightforward hardass. Cheese that doesn't make it onto the truck is a tough one if it is coming from far away, but make sure you don't set the standard of accepting inferior goods. If say the herbs come in looking crappy, either demand better or negotiate a discount, then follow up and make sure you get the credit.

Cisco is OK for plastic wrap, canned goods, and such, but if the meat you're looking at is only 20 cents a pound more at your local supplier, talk to the local source and see if they can match the price. If you're going to be a good account, they should be willing to work with you. Cisco is the man, they may be a necessary evil in your area but it seems at odds with everything else you've posted to not make an effort to support the little guys.

Also, check on local regulations regarding having people drop by the back door with their produce. There may be some licensing or food handling permit issues. Maybe talk to your local farmers market farmers about growing more of the things you want, and possibly delivering. It can be kind of annoying to have people drop by unannounced when you are busy, trying to sell 5 lb of carrots or such, so try to find a few growers you can work with on a regular basis so you'll know what they will have and when.

To add to the 'good luck's: tashi delek!

Alrighty, so here I go - day 1 behind the wheels. Now, here's my insecurity speaking...this isn't some big fancy, heavily bankrolled, multi-star affair that we've been talking about. It's just a little cafe added on to my little store. But it's ours and we built it from scratch. So we're pretty proud of it. Now that that's out of the way...

Some people wake up to singing birds, a pot of coffee made by a loved one, a dog placing a newspaper at their feet. I wake up to this:

gallery_41282_4708_29104.jpg

My to-do list. As I said, I had trouble sleeping so I was very tired when I got in just before 6. The sun hadn't quite made it up yet, so I ran in the dark, turned on my oven, reviewed my list, and ran home to shower. It was a much shorter run than I would have liked, and probably needed, but I wanted to make sure I was prepared.

All of you pastry people know what this is:

gallery_41282_4708_89.jpg

My final fold for the croissants. I've been using the Dessert Circus recipe and its worked very well for me. I've had to add a step of chilling the dough before the first roll out which Jacques skips, but mine was oozing so badly I had to. Its worked perfectly ever since.

And here they are:

gallery_41282_4708_52521.jpg

Now, I just said that these were the best I've ever made. I want to clarify - not in looks, but in flakiness and taste. If I could rub a genies bottle, my first wish would be for a proofing box. I still have to do the old hot water in a measuring cup trick. Very slow. But they were good. So good in fact:

gallery_41282_4708_21704.jpg

Do you see the glaze in my eyes - its not sugar glaze! This was an oozer, so I wouldn't let it sell. Call it quality control!

Next, I had to finish up some apricot work. I picked two buckets from the back yard of my dead neighbor (she died last year and the house hasn't sold). I just pitted and added a bit of sugar and water and boiled:

gallery_41282_4708_51926.jpg

Oh and a bit of sherry for good measure:

gallery_41282_4708_10842.jpg

And, oh! my morning snack:

gallery_41282_4708_32241.jpg

This was my 5-grain sourdough baguette that didn't quite rise enough, so I ate it with the apricot puree. I don't really eat that much of my product - just tastes here and there.

This is the storefront:

gallery_41282_4708_48089.jpg

It's an old 1880s house on our main street. Lot's of history that I won't get into here. Just say, its old. This is right before open - we hadn't set up the chairs yet.

This is the cafe sign:

gallery_41282_4708_34633.jpg

Ummm...we'll be working on signage real soon! if you can read the specials, I did an apricot chicken wrap (using my puree), and a summer garden pizza.

Here's the kitchen pre-service:

gallery_41282_4708_30785.jpg

You can't see the other half off to the right which has the stove, walk-in, freezer and my other service station. Ok pros - how many violations do you see here? Seriously, I'd like to know if there are so I can fix them.

And finally, chef's order system:

gallery_41282_4708_6600.jpg

I hate it. It will go when the last printed card is used! BTW, that is chef hiding behind. She donated a day to me today to offer tips.

As I mentioned a few posts ago, we were washed out! Slowest day ever for the cafe. My guess is that I'll be slammed tomorrow as everyone will go out for lunch. I'll keep the specials the same so I don't have to do new prep. But, I'm back in at 6 to work on bread. BTW, did I mention that my friggin' mixer went out again!!!! That's my second genies bottle rub!

I'll get to questions and comments tomorrow - I'm beat.

Dear Rob:

just wanted to add

Veel succes... to all the good wishes.

I can't wait to stop by in October for a sandwich!!

Don't forget to take a deep breath every now and then. Sit down, even for a minute, and enjoy a croissant... even if it is one that you think is too ugly to sell.

Towel storage. If you are reusing that towel hanging on the sink it needs to be in a bucket with a little soap and bleach in it. I equate storing dry towels under the sink and prep tables as pretty much the same as putting raw proteins on the top shelf of the fridge. Get them up and out of the way. Its the same for any dry foods. I also hate anything sitting directly on the floor that has anything to do with food.

Sorry if this came across as harsh, but you asked what I saw.

Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

Not harsh at all - I appreciate it. One of the things you're seeing on our floor is a compost bucket. A local rancher brings us an empty bucket every other day and feeds our food scraps to her chickens, and our compostable serving containers go in the compost. In return we get good karma and some eggs.

The towel bucket is obviously our soils to go home for wash. Chef let them build up for a few days, we were going to wash daily. Is it just an issue of getting them out of the food area? That's easy enough. And with the way you put it, it makes me think that we've never washed the container itself...gross!

I just wondered about the plate---I know it's a sampling, and neatly arranged, but will your staff be doing a stand-and-serve at the buffet, or will the guests be serving their own plates? 

It will be a buffet line with nice plastic plates. I'll be carving the meat (it'll actually be pre sliced as per the recommendations in the brisket topic), and helpers will scoop the rest for portion control.

There's a big difference between a nicely-arranged dinnerplate, with an entree and two sides, and a plate of beans and brisket, especially when you've mentioned all the hearty appetites the couple expects to entertain.

I explained to the family when I brought out the plate that this was just a taste of each of the items. I fully expect plates to be piled high and over flowing, and not neatly arranged.

Just from the beans standpoint---I've served beans of every description, to small groups and hundreds, and without exception, bowls are the order of the day.

:/ Good point. I don't want to push them to divided cafeteria plates - too tacky for this event. But adding a bowl makes it wobbly or more difficult for the eater to walk around with their plate. I'll stew on this one...

Considering the price point of a pot of vegetarian beans, a serving thrice the size of the one on the plate (sample though it is) would still give you an abundance of a favorite item, without adding very much to the cost.

Absolutely. That and the potatoes are the fillers. For the tasting, I wasn't trying to give them a full meal, just a taste.

And cornbread is always in order---pans and pans of crusty, lush cornbread, with or without add-ins of jalapeno or scallions or corn.  And then there are the toppers:  Bowls of diced sweet onion, green onion tops, a handy bottle of hot sauce or Tabasco---I even got a jaunty little pair of silver panties for the Tabasco because we served so much of it.  These may be too redneck for your crowd, but if they're beans people, they know how they like to eat them.

The bride nixed the cornbread. I thought green chile cheddar cornbread would have been perfect with this meal. The add-ons are also a great idea. Nice extra with little cost.

And just one more thought:  You said something on the order of "cleanup relating to the food, but not the cake."  A canny customer could construe that to include ALL food cleanup, not just the clearing away and the packing up of leftovers and dishes.  Tablecloth removal, table folding and chair hauling MAY be in the mind of the beholder---if it's not in yours, get it straight NOW, in the contract. 

Yet another good point. I'll have to talk with the facility owner and clarify with him what will happen with the tables, chairs, etc. since he is providing them. We can add that onto the final contract...which by the way, I haven't heard back from the family. My guess is they're getting another free meal from another caterer.

Morel season here is short and sweet---are they dried/frozen/available to you in September? 

I've got plenty of dried morels which is the recommend form in the Sauces cookbook.

And Sun Tea---gallons and gallons of golden tea, sparkling in the sun.

Drinks are being provided by the facility not me. So I'll leave that to them.

For that matter, it's "au chocolat" not "au chocolate"!  :biggrin:

I finally figured out why I kept calling them pan au chocolate. My mind works 80% in English, 20% in Spanish and 0% in French. So let's just say I'm making the Southwest version of the French classic :biggrin:

Cisco is the man, they may be a necessary evil in your area but it seems at odds with everything else you've posted to not make an effort to support the little guys. 

Thanks for pulling me back to my mission. Right now we don't have much in the way of local food production. We have ranches o' plenty that raise just about anything, but our nearest USDA processor is almost 2 hours away. I'm talking with some ranchers north of us (near where the wedding will be) about lamb, cow, chicken and even ostrich. If we can get the meat to the processor and back to me, that will help a lot.

Also, check on local regulations regarding having people drop by the back door with their produce.  There may be some licensing or food handling permit issues.

I hadn't thought of that. Why wouldn't someone's backyard produce that I'll wash be any less safe than some salmonella laden mass produced produce? (rhetorically asking that) I'll make an anonymous call and see what they say.

Alright - I think I'm caught up with questions and comments. Since yesterday was so slow, I have almost no prep to do today - just a bit of freshening up. That's why I have time to be on eGullet right now! I've already finished my daily cookie baking. BTW - on the NYT/Paul Raphael hybrid chocolate chip cookies, I've had to drop my temp down 25F to get them to bake properly. The guts weren't baking evenly with the extra absorption. I just threw my first round of bread in - that, heaven forbid! - I did by hand instead of in my mixer.

Chef used to change her specials daily. I think they should run for a week. Our average customer will come once a week - we have a handful of people who eat here every day (except yesterday :angry: ), but otherwise I think a weekly special makes more sense.

I've now met with both of my distributor reps and am waiting to hear back on a few questions. I asked our current one - Zanios - about a price lock. He said that they only do that when you commit to buying 80% of your products from them. I asked how they would know, especially in our case when I buy a good portion of products off my own shelves. He didn't know. Sysco hasn't answered any of my questions yet.

I mentioned that this cafe is so strongly influenced by eGullet...this morning I re-read ChefCrash's topic on easy baklawa for a bid I need to do this morning. A local Lebanese author is having a book signing and wants 4 dz baklawa pieces. I also re-read the sourdough troubleshooting topic since all of my loaves had eruptions yesterday. I proofed longer, lowered my oven temp, slashed with wreckless abandon, and my first batch looks awesome so far...

And speaking of sourdough. About six months ago I shared a bit of my starter with a guy who has been researching the history of bread. I gave it to him with instructions to care for it, and the explicit instructions that he couldn't give it or sell it to anyone. Well, small town...a friend told me he was giving it to folks at our farmers market on Saturday. I'm not really too upset since most people are too lazy to keep a starter going, but still, it was a breach of our relationship.

I can't be the first to channel Laura Petrie---AWWWWW, ROBBBBBB!! This is just lovely.

It's charming and interesting and the food looks positively wonderful. That apricot (will any of that be used in the "hush" recipe?---that phrasing will linger for all time) is pure and golden and the very essence of the fruit. And I do believe that's the most elegantly perfect final turn I've ever seen---like it's marked with a ruler all around. Just the purity of those angles and the gleam of the dough---magic.

I hope today is a blur of good things and happy customers and glorious food. You're stepping out into a whole new era of your life, and we're honored to be included in the story.

Did I mention that eG member, Patrick A gets back today. He and his high school culinary team were just competing in nationals in Orlando - they got silvers in two categories. We only have him for another month until he goes off to college, but you know how it feels when your teammate is gone? Well, let's just say, I've forgotten about whatever flaws and weaknesses he may have had. He's got my back and he'll be at the register for lunch, so I know the world will be under control. Even though I'm sort of a one person show in this kitchen, that's not really the case since I have Patrick. I can't imagine flying completely solo.

gallery_41282_4652_22743.jpg

I'm trying a new way of packaging (actually losing the packaging) of my bread, and changing the display on the cookies so shorter folk can see what they are. Speaking of shorter folk, kitchens are clearly designed for those under 6 feet talk. My back is aching from all of the hunching over. All of my prep tables are at maximum height, but only one is tall enough for me to be comfortable. I'm not a monster, just 6'3", but geez. I don't need a sous, I need a chiropractor on site.

I just threw two quiches in. One is a Greek - kalamata, feta and red onion. The other is pancetta, pecorino fresco and balsamic glazed red onion. The leftover egg became my breakfast. And did I mention I'm jittery from drinking a pot of lychee black tea! So much for being tired.

Two things:

One, I hear you on kitchens being designed for short people. I'm only 6'1 and when I worked in a kitchen for a short time, it was painful. The same goes for home, though. My counters are clearly more appropriate for my 5'2 girlfriend.

Two, lychee black tea sounds delicious. Where did you get it?

ETA: Although, now that I think about it, the fact that I'm able to hunch over dishes does have a lot to do with my good presentation. I guess you take the good with the bad.

Edited by MikeHartnett (log)

Two, lychee black tea sounds delicious.  Where did you get it?

My store of course :) We get our tea from Vital TeaLeaf in San Fran Chinatown. Ming is the PT Barnum of tea (minus the whole sucker thing). We carry about 20 of his teas including some rarer stuff like a bamboo green. I like the naturally sweet teas like the lychee and jasmine pearl.

I'm not very qualified to comment on the kitchen and stuff, but I will say that your place looks very quaint and welcoming-- the kind of place I see myself frequenting and wasting time in with friends.

Also, I'm not sure if you'll like hearing this, but it looks like you've gained a tiny bit of weight, and it agrees with you :smile:

Best of luck (again), Rob!

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

I don't mind at all. I was 135 until I hit about 28 because of all of the running I was doing back then. I finally hit 165 at 32 and that felt almost healthy to me. At 35 I hit 175 and have stayed there no matter how much I run or eat. 175 feels very health to me and it seems that its movng around. I also see that my cheeks are no longer hollow, which is good. I've wondered what daily kitchen life will do to me. I think I'll find a balance because I'm kinda repulsed by fatty foods (except desserts of course) so I still eat very well, and sparsley in the summer.

Finding time to eat has been an act of determination since I moved into the kitchen. I force myself to eat lunch before I clean at the end of the shift. Breakfast is even tougher since I'm coming in off a run and my stomach doesn't want food yet.

Rob (and Tyler)...

I've been a fan of your photos on Flickr for a while. Any chance you could post a photo-tour of the restaurant soon? Also, thanks for bringing us along for the ride as you get the Kumquat going... best of luck!!!

"There's something very Khmer Rouge about Alice Waters that has become unrealistic." - Bourdain; interviewed on dcist.com

Learning of the day - the pizza special included fresh sliced tomatoes. Because of the moisture content, I had a couple of complaints about runny pizza. Today, I sliced them, and let them rest on paper towel during service. Today, no runny pizza!

We did about 60% of our normal day and I didn't feel rushed at all. Midway through service, I felt in control, and in fact, a bit slow.

While there are many lingering topics and issues, now that we've passed opening day, the topic is becoming more about me blabbering on and on. I'll post further comments in relevant topics in the forums and on my blog - so thanks for joining me on the ride!

~Rob