• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'm opening a restaurant...Oh S&%T!

gfron1

Let's talk about the mixer for a moment. You say you paid to fix it, yet imply that it belongs to the chef, who has "disappeared" it in the time since you agreed to take over control of the restaurant. If she refuses to return it, how will that be resolved?

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

Maybe you should create an inventory of equipment, just for your own use so you can refer back to it. It doesn't help with things that have already walked away, I know, but equipment leaving with staff isn't a new thing and Chef may feel that if she purchased the equipment for her own use, and was letting the store "borrow" it, that's something you need to know.

Kind of like when you buy a house, you need to know do the appliances stay or go - the lighting fixtures, etc....

Jeanne - you anticipated my thoughts. Chef and I actually did that a week ago. I realized before going to sleep that I was building this up into something it didn't need to be. I have never had trust issues with her before - hell, I have her the keys to the store, so why now? When I realized that I went back to that inventory and sure enough, the items that were gone weren't on the inventory. We missed them. Try inventorying your kitchen...not an easy task. At the time I thought, I should take a picture for the inventory and have her circle the exclusions. That would have been a good idea.

Well, here is is 4 am my time and I shouldn't be up. I'm stressing over something else (if its not one thing....) - money! We're doing this transition on the month following a quarter. At least here in the US, that means that I have all of my tax bills due by the end of this month. I'm already living day to day because of this economy, then I have the newly installed AC bill that I haven't been able to fully pay off, and now taxes. And I really need to start my holiday stock up or I won't have the inventory to have the sales to pull me out of this cycle.

And on top of that, payroll is due today, but its Wednesday and my weekend credit card sales won't hit my account until tonight. These little financial things are what keep me up at night. My hope is that now that I've written them, I'll be able to go back to sleep for a couple more hours. Good night...again. :laugh:<Not a laugh emoticon but a yawn emoticon

Are you running on sheer adrenaline?!? Sounds like you are keeping all your plates spinning pretty well. Keep posting!

Right now I feel like I'm running as fast as I can with a pack of ferile chihuahuas chasing behind me! I actually prefer it this way. I'm much more efficient when I have more going on. It's when it's slow that I have troubles.

I really appreciate everyone who's following this topic. I'm a bit humbled by the reads, and I definitely get energy knowing folks are watching.

I just received a message from the mom of the bride. She had questions. Questions are good - that means they are still considering me. I wasn't sure since their quote jumped significantly.

One of the perks I was bringing her was access to our local high school culinary program students to work the event - warm fuzzies and a bit of a price break. She went to great lengths to express her concerns about who would supervise these young hellions and ensure that they're not just standing around and getting in the way. Fair concern. I've worked with them for a few years so I know them and their teacher well. I talked about the teacher being there, but assured her that I would ultimately take responsibility for making sure they were working.

Her other question was about clean-up. I had already factored that into my proposal, but I didn't define it. So I defined it as basically anything related to the food, food service, but NOT the cake. Those suckers can get messy, and I'm not providing the cake, so that's their mess.

On other fronts, I've been trying to reach the Sysco rep for prices...he hasn't returned my calls. Our current rep, Zanios, also not returning calls. Out here in the dessert, I don't have any other options...someone please call me back so I can give you money!

Wow. I can't even fathom not being able to get a rep to call you back. The reps from the companies in this area drop in and, if you accept their catalog, say hello or blink at the wrong moment, they never go away. We've had the rep from one company dropping in about once every two weeks for the past several months just to see if we're interested in anything they have to offer. Always drops updated catalogs and sales hotsheets. We've never ordered a single thing. Haven't even opened an account with them. The reps from two other companies we don't use check in with us about once or twice a month. The reps from the companies we do use usually drop in about twice a week, if they can't for some reason then they call. We're about an hour off the main shipping/travel routes and not within 5 hours of any large city but they still manage to find us.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I guess my anticipation is getting the better of me. I finished all of my paying job work yesterday even though I have two days left to go (I'll skip out early on Friday). Last night I got way ahead of my baking production schedule including pulling out my first batch of NYT/Paul Raphael cookies (I don't know how to break it to the NYT, but this hybrid is far superior). AND I did everything I would normally do to get ready for a Friday like taking out the trash. I woke up thinking it was Friday! Hijola! Ah well, I'm ahead of the game.

I also woke up going through the Farmers Market stalls in my mind thinking about who would have items that I can buy that are needed on the menu, but will last through the weekend. That train of thought also came because I was thinking more about my lunch plating. I need to re-read all of your suggestions again and just pick something. I was leaning toward pickled whatever, but doesn't that take too long (at least for next week)?

I also had a thought about how we've strongly branded our store and Mel's cafe. The store is the Curious Kumquat. The cafe - Cafe at the Kumquat. Why not a kumquat side? They're not easily accessible so I might need to rely on extract or puree (or fake it with orange and tart lemon and some tinkering), but I could do a kumquat version of a lemon cooler (wedding cookie type thing dusted in powdered sugar) in the summer and a kumquat Fallish type bar. Or work on a kumquat macaron - that would be more my style. As far as the world is concerned, its Mel's cafe still, so I have time to work these things out before we do the media blitz.

As far as pickles go, you could do quite a few 'quick-pickles' or the like before next week. You'd only really need to be concerned about time if you were doing full-on cucumber pickles or 'putting-up' pickles.

Also, the idea of the kumquat special sounds good, but I feel like it sort of clashes with the whole gourmet, fresh foods thing. If you're going to have to go out of your way to get some sort of extract or something, it seems like it's stretching it a bit.

I guess my anticipation is getting the better of me.  I finished all of my paying job work yesterday even though I have two days left to go (I'll skip out early on Friday).  Last night I got way ahead of my baking production schedule including pulling out my first batch of NYT/Paul Raphael cookies (I don't know how to break it to the NYT, but this hybrid is far superior).  AND I did everything I would normally do to get ready for a Friday like taking out the trash.  I woke up thinking it was Friday!  Hijola!  Ah well, I'm ahead of the game.

I also woke up going through the Farmers Market stalls in my mind thinking about who would have items that I can buy that are needed on the menu, but will last through the weekend.  That train of thought also came because I was thinking more about my lunch plating.  I need to re-read all of your suggestions again and just pick something.  I was leaning toward pickled whatever, but doesn't that take too long (at least for next week)? 

I also had a thought about how we've strongly branded our store and Mel's cafe.  The store is the Curious Kumquat.  The cafe - Cafe at the Kumquat.  Why not a kumquat side?  They're not easily accessible so I might need to rely on extract or puree (or fake it with orange and tart lemon and some tinkering), but I could do a kumquat version of a lemon cooler (wedding cookie type thing dusted in powdered sugar) in the summer and a kumquat Fallish type bar.  Or work on a kumquat macaron - that would be more my style.  As far as the world is concerned, its Mel's cafe still, so I have time to work these things out before we do the media blitz.

Wrap a baked treat in marzipan and shape and color it into a kumquat. Cut a wedge out of it so you can have the exposed interior.

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)
Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

That does it! I need to plant a kumquat tree, use the fresh ones and preserve heading into off season! I'll look into that (in my free time).

Speaking of free time. Tomorrow is my last day at work and I'm getting the typical going away sentiments. My staff is kind of freaking out since they're about to lose a very vocal advocate and buffer to admin. And I'm finding myself a bit perturbed by asinine and unprofessional things building up by those above me related to my leaving, and I oh so badly want to say kiss my fanny! But, then I remember that whole small town thing. My agency is the third largest employer in the region and they cater a lot of lunches. And they go out to lunch a lot. So I just bite my tongue and look forward to my farewell brunch tomorrow.

Chef and I are going to run through on Saturday and do a complete inventory of everything to make sure we're both happy. That will be a very good thing.

That does it!  I need to plant a kumquat tree, use the fresh ones and preserve heading into off season!  I'll look into that (in my free time).

Definitely! Even dwarf kumquats can yield alot and they are so beautiful. The possibilities are exciting.

"In your free time" can you also share with us how you came to use Kumquat as your biz name/ID?

Wow - an easy one! Here ya go.

Four years ago when Tyler and I decided we were never going to leave this town (and we still feel this way today), we knew that we had to ween ourselves from my non-profit work. And he, as an author, had sporadic income. So we went to the old adage to do what you know and love, and for us that was food, and specifically international food. As we did our "market research" aka asking people around town what they wish we had (remember, we are very isolated), a large number of folks wanted weekly delivery from Trader Joe's in Tucson (3 hours away). I wasn't about to drive my car that much, so we recognized that there was a market. So let me fast forward. We did a ton of homework - true market research, analyzing census data, national sales trends, product trends, etc. When it came time for a name, we needed it to play off of what we were doing. We started with Silver City Provisions - we're a mining town, so it made sense, but it wasn't really the right tone for us. I was out walking the dogs one afternoon in one of our mining areas, and I called Tyler and said, "What about the screaming tomato? (which btw I still think is a great name for something)" Tyler's first seminary degree was at Earlham Quaker seminary so he said, "It's a bit too violent or angry, but I like the personification of fruit." I walked a little further, and being a fan of alliteration, I called again, "What about the Curious Kumquat?" He responded, "What's a kumquat?" I had never had one at that point but knew basically what it was.

We then researched kumquats and learned that they are symbolic of wealth and riches and beginnings in some Asian cultures. When we opened the store we had two kumquat miniature trees - we've killed them both :blink::blink: So that's the story!

Since then we've focused heavily on branding ourselves, hence The Curious Blogquat, Cafe at the Kumquat, (and a bit of a stretch through alliteration) The Home Cooks Academy.

Here's a question for the pros. When I did my training week, I was exhausted by the end of the shift. And now that I'm in at 6 every morning, I expect to be even more exhausted. Leaving out the options of drugs, coke, booze, back alley sex, and all the other things that Bourdain describes, what do you all do to keep your energy? Or do you just go home and crash?

We then researched kumquats and learned that they are symbolic of wealth and riches and beginnings in some Asian cultures.  When we opened the store we had two kumquat miniature trees - we've killed them both  :blink:  :blink:    So that's the story!

Kumquats, being citrus, don't like to freeze. Did you have them indoors for the winter? I think you should try again.

Here's a question for the pros.  When I did my training week, I was exhausted by the end of the shift.  And now that I'm in at 6 every morning, I expect to be even more exhausted.  Leaving out the options of drugs, coke, booze, back alley sex, and all the other things that Bourdain describes, what do you all do to keep your energy?  Or do you just go home and crash?

You'll get used to it. Triple mochas exist for a reason.

We then researched kumquats and learned that they are symbolic of wealth and riches and beginnings in some Asian cultures.  When we opened the store we had two kumquat miniature trees - we've killed them both  :blink:  :blink:    So that's the story!

Kumquats, being citrus, don't like to freeze. Did you have them indoors for the winter? I think you should try again.

They were inside all the time. We moved them to every nook and cranny trying to find some place that they liked - never did. Maybe I can find a customer who would care for it for trade.

Two hours of paying job left (because believe me - I'm outta there right after the party!) Apparently our HR Director resigned right after me - he got tired of all of the turnover - and I've had quite a few calls to step into that position. Normally more money and no supervision would have an appeal to me, but I have no pangs about this move. This has never felt so right.

On other fronts, I am excited as a Japanese school girl at a SMAP or Hey!Say!7 concert! I'm viewing tomorrow's farmers market in new eyes and can't wait to see what I can snap up for specials. I'll learn very quickly about shelf life of local organic produce - can't imagine it will last as long in my walk-in as the steroid veggies from the distributor.

Note to anyone buying out a kitchen...don't worry about the inventory of what you're buying - you know what's in there. Or, if you really need one, do it yourself, don't ask the owner to. BUT, do have a crystal clear inventory of what's not included. There were a lot of unwrittens in this deal that wasn't on either list and now they're leaving. As I said before, we're talking small change, and its not worth the damage that it would cause to our relationship, but it will result in me having to pay a bit more upfront to stock the kitchen.

And last - so I don't get all the fame and glory for myself - the hybrid of Paul Raphael's chocolate chip cookie (in RecipeGullet) and the NYT aging process are making me rock star cookies! They are selling as fast as I can put them out.

That's it - don't let the secret out to the world, but the NYT upgrade is nothing compared to tossing in the muscovado and browned butter. And heaven forbid you upgrade the chocolate quality each time! Right now I'm using Guayaquil (I think that's Cocao Barry 64%).

These are the brown butter muscovado chocolate chip cookies?

The NYTimes cookies have made my gf a major fan of me lately.  I'll have to try the hybrid.

Link recipe please. I can never make my wife love me enough.

Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

Here's a question for the pros.  When I did my training week, I was exhausted by the end of the shift.  And now that I'm in at 6 every morning, I expect to be even more exhausted.  Leaving out the options of drugs, coke, booze, back alley sex, and all the other things that Bourdain describes, what do you all do to keep your energy?  Or do you just go home and crash?

Overkill it for a few weeks. A few weeks of 6am - 10pm shifts at the restaurant (7 days a week) along with staying on until midnight - 1am doing prep/desserts for catering jobs a few nights a week redefined the lines for me. We brought in some part-time help and now 10 - 11 hrs/6 days a week feels like a part time job. I don't know what to do with all of the free time. :laugh:

Edit: I don't do drugs (well maybe a tylenol sinus if I have one of my bad sinus headaches but those only happen when rain/snow is moving in), I prefer diet pepsi over coke :raz:, I'm not really a drinker (a case of beer and a couple bottles of wine are a years supply for me) and I've yet to have some hot chick stroll in the kitchen and say "ok you sexy cook you, prop me up against the Hobart and work me like a batch of brioche". Bourdain wouldn't be proud.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.