• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sakura Japanese Restaurant

fatcatbrew

Today a new Japanese Restaurant opened at 371 Franklin Avenue, Wyckoff.  I received the menu as a mailer.    Standard fare with some interesting special rolls.  The owners of the restaurant also own Sakura in Millburn.

How's the one in Millburn? Any reputation? There is not a lot in this immediate area vis a vis sushi. Sono (Franklin Tpk., in Mahwah) is very good. A small, quiet, unknown place -- but very good. Someone said that Tomo has closed, and even though they were inside of a HoJo, it was also good. I haven't been to any of the places in Ridgewood recently, but I will be trying a few in the coming weeks.

I am also looking forward to trying Flirt.

Thanks again for the heads up.

Eric

Flirt is all about the scene. In my opinion, the food is secondary. They were allot better when they first opened. It is allot of fun, great music and atmosphere and byo at Allendale. Another location in Suffern went in where Wicky Lounge was and serves alcohol.

We have been going to HoHoKus Sushi Cafe for the last year or so. Small place, traditional decor. They have this amazing tuna taco on their special menu that is something like a ceviche. Their fish is extremely fresh.

Flirt is all about the scene.  In my opinion, the food is secondary.  They were allot better when they first opened.  It is allot of fun, great music and atmosphere and byo at Allendale.  Another location in Suffern went in where Wicky Lounge was and serves alcohol.

We have been going to HoHoKus Sushi Cafe for the last year or so.  Small place, traditional decor.    They have this amazing tuna taco on their special menu that is something like a ceviche.  Their fish is extremely fresh.

Sounds good (Sushi Cafe) -- I'll certainly try it. I would definetly recommend Sono. Try it. Remember, BYO. Family owned and run -- dad is the sushi chef, mom is plays the role of the manager, and the daughter is the waitress. I've seen the son around as well. The fish is fresh, and he has some interesting things on the menu. For example, they have a small section on the sushi menu with rolls made without rice. They also have some special rolls, appetizers, etc. There are some nice tuna appetizers (tuna tatake and peppered tuna) as well as a few nice salads (Sono salad and a spicy kani salad).

I thought I saw booze on the menu at Flirt. Guess I was wrong about that.

What about some of the places in Ridgewood -- are you familiar with any of those? Have you been to Nagoya?

Thanks again.

Eric

Sakura..that name sounds very familiar. If I'm thinking about the same place as posted above in Milburn, my parent's friends own that. They use to own a little Chinese take out place in Denville, NJ. Sold that (or leased it out, forgot..) and opened their sushi place.

Honestly, I haven't been back in at least half year or more. (Due to school, different state) Anywho, when I did go, all their fish was fresh and overall pretty good. Though their decor was quite exquisite from what I remembered. The Milburn location is somewhat small, I'd guess maybe 20ish tables or so. (Once again been awhile since i've been there)

Jim

I would definetly recommend Sono. Try it. Remember, BYO. Family owned and run -- dad is the sushi chef, mom is plays the role of the manager, and the daughter is the waitress. I've seen the son around as well. The fish is fresh, and he has some interesting things on the menu. For example, they have a small section on the sushi menu with rolls made without rice. They also have some special rolls, appetizers, etc. There are some nice tuna appetizers (tuna tatake and peppered tuna) as well as a few nice salads (Sono salad and a spicy kani salad).

I thought I saw booze on the menu at Flirt. Guess I was wrong about that.

What about some of the places in Ridgewood -- are you familiar with any of those? Have you been to Nagoya?

I'll have to try Sono. Thanks for the rec. Regarding Ridgewood, I have recently been to Kumo, Gen, and Wild Ginger. Gen was by far the better of the three places. Though I still like HoHoKus Sushi Cafe much better. I didn't like Kumo at all - the fish didn't taste fresh and the rolls were made using minced fish instead of chunks, which I do not care for.

Allot of my sushi-loving friends like Nagoya - I've been there - They have lots of alternatives for the non-sushi lover too.

I'll have to try Sono.  Thanks for the rec.    Regarding Ridgewood, I have recently been to Kumo, Gen, and Wild Ginger.    Gen was by far the better of the three places.     Though I still like HoHoKus Sushi Cafe much better.   I didn't like Kumo at all - the fish didn't taste fresh and the rolls were made using minced fish instead of chunks, which I do not care for.

Allot of my sushi-loving friends like Nagoya - I've been there - They have lots of alternatives for the non-sushi lover too.

Great -- please post and let us know what you think of Sono. I am surprised more people haven't tried this place. It's a bit hidden and you'll see what I mean when you get there. You park and enter the restaurant from the back, so the front that faces Franklin Tpk. really doesn't get exposure. It's one of those "odd" smaller strip malls. None of the stores in there (I think they are down to two or three) are getting high foot traffic.

Anyway, I am going to Sushi Cafe this weekend -- thanks for the recommendation. There was one in Rdigewood which people said used to be very good, and either the place closed, renovated, or there was a fire -- something -- and now they aren't as good. I forgot which one.

Thanks again.

Eric

Edited by ELA (log)

Let me know what you think of HoHoKus Sushi Cafe.

I think the sushi restaurant in Ridgewood that you are referring to is Sakura Bana. It has been in Ridgewood for many years and recently closed for renovations. They are now back open and I haven't tried it since. I have heard mixed reviews about it.

PS At HoHoKus Sushi Cafe, try the tuna taco and the firecracker shrimp.

I think the sushi restaurant in Ridgewood that you are referring to is Sakura Bana.  It has been in Ridgewood for many years and recently closed for renovations.  They are now back open and I haven't tried it since.    I have heard mixed reviews about it.

PS  At HoHoKus Sushi Cafe, try the tuna taco and the firecracker shrimp.

Will do, and thanks for the recommendations.

Yes, that's the place, Sakura Bana. I haven't heard great things about it since the re-opening, especially in relation to what I used to hear.

Thanks again.

Eric

From Second Helpings:

Sakura, a Japanese and sushi restaurant from the owners of Sakura in Millburn, have opened a second restaurant in Wyckoff. The large menu includes a la carte sushi and sashimi, sushi boats and several dozen rolls, including the Wyckoff, with tuna, salmon, yellowtail, cucumber and flying fish roe wrapped in white soybean paper.

Sakura is at 371 Franklin Ave., Wyckoff; 201-848-6988.

I was there last night too. The restaurant was decorated nicely and had comfortable seating. Servers wanted to rush us out, and there was a serious language barrier. We managed the rush by only ordering appetizers first and then our mains after we finished eating our apps. All of our food was fresh and nicely presented. The food was good, but certainly not transcendent. I found the fish to be slightly over salted, and the rolls we had were minced fish which I personally do not care for.

I think the sushi restaurant in Ridgewood that you are referring to is Sakura Bana.  It has been in Ridgewood for many years and recently closed for renovations.  They are now back open and I haven't tried it since.    I have heard mixed reviews about it.

PS  At HoHoKus Sushi Cafe, try the tuna taco and the firecracker shrimp.

Started a new thread/topc -- thank you for the recommendation. Very good.

Eric

Eric - You must live in the Mahwah area since you like Sono and Nagoya. While not in NJ, the best sushi hands down in the area is just over the border is in Nanuet, NY (about 15 min. from Mahwah) and is called Sakana. Trust me and take the drive there and you will not be disappointed.

I used to go to Sakana all the time when Doug was the sushi chef. Sakana is at 25 Rockland Plaza in Nanuet. When Doug left to open Wasabi in Nyack, I stopped going there and followed him to Wasabi. I love Wasabi, but it is not very convenient to the Wyckoff area. i'm glad to hear that Sakana is still very good.

Edited by fatcatbrew (log)

Eric - You must live in the Mahwah area since you like Sono and Nagoya.  While not in NJ, the best sushi hands down in the area is just over the border is in Nanuet, NY (about 15 min. from Mahwah) and is called Sakana.  Trust me and take the drive there and you will not be disappointed.

Certainly will do -- and thanks for the recommendation!

Eric

I used to go to Sakana all the time when Doug was the sushi chef.    Sakana is at 25 Rockland Plaza in Nanuet.    When Doug left to open Wasabi in Nyack, I stopped going there and followed him to Wasabi.      I love Wasabi, but it is not very convenient to the Wyckoff area.    i'm glad to hear that Sakana is still very good.

The food seems just as good as when Doug was there and many of his creations remain. To be honest, my wife and I who also love Wasabi went there recently and decided that overall we like Sakana better. The only leg up that Wasabi has is the decor, however, Sakana is undergoing a big expansion so maybe that will help.

• 1 month later...

Had a wonderful experience and leasure dinner at Sakura last night!

Brought a light slightly apple flavor sake that was promptly placed into an ice bucket and served in wine stem glasses with long slivers of cucumber --

My guest began with an order of seaweed salad (6.00) a generous portion of finely sliced and fresh salty brilliant greens arrived -- I opted to begin with the shittake roll - a pulchritudinous cap rolled around rice with a ribbon of another shittake --

($5.00). We ordered a pot of a daisy tea according to the menu, "promising to moisten the throat, brighten the eyes," and I think lift the face -- (at $7.00 is was less expensive then a face lift and with a bottle of sake to down what the hell!)

Dinner for my guest was the "Angel" Sakura Special Rolls - king crab, shrimp tempura, asparagus, avocado, and tobiko wrapped with soybean paper. ($14.00)

my order was also a Sakura Special Roll, "The Dancing" smoke salmon, shrimp and avocado on the top -- shrimp tempura and crab stick inside ($14.00)

There was no room for dessert - and I was pleased I had resisted ordering a soup - the kinoko ( a vegertable tofu blend0 seemed popular at the table behind me -- as was a yakitori that pleasantly perfumed the immediate area.

The restaurant was much larger then I anticipated and with a 6:00 PM dinner on a Thursday night -- the sushi bar was empty and the tables fairly active.

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler