• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brik Dough

tim

Hi,

I will be in Philadelphia and will probably bring some briik dough home. I know that it may be fried and makes a nice wrapping for roasting.

I would appreciate some specific thoughts on uses.

Thanks,

Tim

wrap anything with it and fry or bake until crispy. It is actually very similar to spring roll wrapper.

At Le Cirque we used it for something called Crispy Hats (yeah, really creative name.) Brush a piece with corn syrup on both sides, then bake in greased muffin pans or aluminum cups (silicone would work well too.) let cool and fill with whatever -- we usually did a round of sponge cake, pastry cream and a sauteed fruit.

Also useful for making your own ice cream cones... more delicate than waffle. Same process, baking them on those metal cones used for cream horns or on parchment cornets.

It gets crispier (really its prime attribute -- it doesn't taste like anything much) if brushed with syrup, or oil or butter before heating. it may burn on the grill in a single layer, but you could probably wrap something in it and do that too.

I had to fill an order earlier this year (it was for a pastry chef who was on vacation, the remaining pastry cooks didn't want to attempt it) for chocolate beggar's purses - a molten chocolate recipe (thank you again Marilyn!) scooped into the center of a bric round, brushed very lightly with butter, and twisted the top closed. I froze these, delivered them frozen and they were baked to order (so the center would be appropriately "molten"). To help hold the shape until they were frozen solid, I used a square of foil drawn up around it.

Originally I thought I'd do phyllo until the chef said it was a crepe, the crepes were too small so the feuille de bric was it. And it is so much easier to use, I would never consider using something else. The bric was flexible and easier to handle than phyllo, so if there are things you are doing with phyllo, you might give the bric a try instead.

Here in France it's used for tons of different savory preparations, whatever you might imagine served in a crispy wrapper. The purse presentation is a classic, but it's also often seen in roll form, either baked or fried. It's for sale in every supermarket, thanks to the large population of folks of North African ancestry.

How about an egg brik? I've been yearning for one since leaving Tunisia 22 years ago. Seriously, does anyone know where to get one in Rhode Island??? Sorry I'm no help to you, Tim, you sure opened up some memories for me!

Tim, I'm going to be in Philly in a few weeks too - where will you get the brik dough? My boss has been wanting to find some to recreate a halibut recipe from Kinkead's.

Darcie,

You can purchase the brik dough at Caviar Assouline.

We will be there on 8/27 (Lib) and 10/10 (both) - Let me know if we can get together.

Tim

HI,

I am interested in ways to adding flavor to brik dough.

Can you brush brik dough with syrup to add sweetness and flavor? Can you brush it with butter? How about savory oils or emulsions?

If baked upside down on a form, does it shape to the form or merely drape?

I really appreciate the advice.

Tim

Can you brush brik dough with syrup to add sweetness and flavor? Can you brush it with butter? How about savory oils or emulsions?

yes, yes, and yes.

If baked upside down on a form, does it shape to the form or merely drape?

if brushed with butter, it only drapes unless baked for a long time until very crisp and brown -- then it will hold its shape. If brushed with syrup, it will hold its shape when light brown as the syrup will evaporate and solidify when cool. (See my post above about the Crispy Hats.) It also holds its shape if fried.

I really appreciate the advice.