• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deep fryer for domestic use

Does anyone have a domestic deep fryer purchased in UK/Europe they would recommend?

There is a lot of discussion in the Kitchen Equipment section and the Waring seems to be the best option, however it seems to be available only in the US.

I have seen some UK sites with brands like LinCat - are these any good? I am happy to get a small commercial appliance if these are a lot better as long as it isn't too big

Any help appreciated...

I just bought a bog standard domestic model from John lewis, my reasoning being that the larger commercial models use far more oil, and hence cost more to run, my (3 litre) fryer happily takes chips for two, or tempura etc for more.

i have a stainless domestic fryer but it struggles to keep heat. the lincat is excellent, better than anything you will get on the domestic market as it is designed for restaurant use. a little bit bigger though.

Matt Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a cast iron wok, a infrared temperature gun and a spider for scooping up the goodies. This set up costs around thirty quid. The real benefit of this approach is that the cast iron retains a huge amount of heat and so you dont really get dramatic drops in temperature. It only uses about a litre of oil and is very easy to clean. I did a test run recently with some vietnamese style chicken wings and it worked perfectly, hope this helps.