• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tiger skin roulade

raagamuffin

But how does it taste? :unsure:

I'm guessing kinda sweet and eggy. :biggrin:

I'm still going to try it, I'm curious about it too, just not going to worry about it tonight. It's been a long, busy day.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

It's been a long, busy day.

I HEAR you!!! :laugh: Same for me. Tourist season in my neck 'o the woods, so I'm just slammed.

I want to try this too........I can imagine it's sweet and eggy, but I wonder how "rubbery" it might be, since it's so flexible and all. I'm also wondering if the inside of the sponge roll (the multicolored part) that raaga posted is the same recipe or if it's different?

If you look closely, you can tell the the rolled up sponge is one element, and the tiger skin part is wrapped around it.

We used a chocolate cake and some sweet filling for the center. The center is definitely not the same as the skin.

Let's see... We folded in whipped egg whites into some chocolate slurry, so the center is a chiffon? I'm going to say I'm 99% sure that that's what it is.

The tiger skin has the texture of chamois - that spongy absorbent stuff used to wipe off cars in infomercials. It's only slightly sweet, not cloyingly so, and it fights back a bit when you bite into it. I though it was delicious, but only in small doses. Egg yolks scare me.

It's been a long, busy day.

I HEAR you!!! :laugh: Same for me. Tourist season in my neck 'o the woods, so I'm just slammed.

I want to try this too........I can imagine it's sweet and eggy, but I wonder how "rubbery" it might be, since it's so flexible and all. I'm also wondering if the inside of the sponge roll (the multicolored part) that raaga posted is the same recipe or if it's different?

If you look closely, you can tell the the rolled up sponge is one element, and the tiger skin part is wrapped around it.

It's tourist season (fishing) here too. Then comes tourist season pt. 2 (moose hunting). There's a break between each though.

Yeah, it definitely looks like the "tiger" sponge wrapped around another rolled sponge all glued with some thin layers of something white. I don't know what all of the components are but I'm not really interested in doing the entire critter anyway. I just want to check out that outside layer and see if it's something I want to play with.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

The recipe for the tiger skin roll:

egg yolk  165 gr(aprox 6)

sugar        65 gr(2 1/2 tablespoon)

cornflour    25 gr(1 oz)

beat eggyolk and sugar till fluffy and pale, add corn flour and mix. Line an halfsheet baking tray with baking paper, pour mixture and bake at 400 F until you see tiger stripe, bake another 7 or 8 min with the oven door open. take it out, let it cool, don't overturn immediately.

I have the recipe from an asian food forum.

Round of applause,MariaA.

Everyone's loving it.