• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Purchasing sodium nitrite in Australia

Hi all,

I've just bought the Ruhlman and Polcyn Charcuterie book and am eager to start on some of the recipes.

The curing solutions used in a number of the recipes use sodium nitrite in combination with non-iodised salt.

I was just wondering if anyone knows of an Australian-based supplier who sells quantities suitable for domestic use.

While we're at it, does anyone also know of a source for natural sausage casings, also for domestic use?

Thanks

:smile:

Edited by nickrey (log)

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Hi all,

I've just bought the Ruhlman and Polcyn Charcuterie book and am eager to start on some of the recipes.

The curing solutions used in a number of the recipes use sodium nitrite in combination with non-iodised salt.

I was just wondering if anyone knows of an Australian-based supplier who sells quantities suitable for domestic use.

While we're at it, does anyone also know of a source for natural sausage casings, also for domestic use?

Thanks

:smile:

A butcher should be able to supply casings when asked. I bought enough to make thousands of sausages for about $30.

Sodium nitrate is more of a problem. If you look in the local yellow pages under "butchers supplies" you should find a few options. Again you could ask a butcher where they get their supplies from.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After checking around all over the place, I've order some prague powder from the US via eBay. Shop is called superior kitchen gadgets, just search for "prague powder."

I'll let you know if it clears customs :rolleyes:

My eG Foodblog

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update: the pink salt/prague powder cleared Customs.

The package was opened and resealed (and subject to all sort of investigations I daresay) but it is here.

Now for purchasing the pork belly for my bacon; I'm heading up to Auburn to the Chinese butcher where I saw some nice pieces a while back.

Have also found a sausage skin wholesaler who will sell to the public (Belrose casing suppliers at Matraville)

In piggy heaven

:biggrin:

My eG Foodblog