• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brunch

Fugu

One of my apprentices, way back 18 years ago, now an exceutive chef, called me and we got to talking about among other things, buffet brunches served at her hotel. Does any of you still serve buffet brunch at your establishment? What is the current trend, if there is such a thing? Are the classical wellingtons and coulibiacs still being served? Any suggestions on how to make an exciting, cost effective buffet brunch that's uptodate with the younger crowd?

One of my apprentices, way back 18 years ago, now an exceutive chef, called me and we got to talking about among other things, buffet brunches served at her hotel. Does any of you still serve buffet brunch at your establishment? What is the current trend, if there is such a thing?  Are the classical wellingtons and coulibiacs still being served? Any suggestions on how to make an exciting, cost effective buffet brunch that's uptodate with the younger crowd?

I've always thought brunch could be a very fun, special, and exciting meal. The combination of foods, families, styles, etc -- breakfast, lunch, desserts, you name it! LOL. I've also found that sometimes it's a "lost art" so to speak.

I am looking forward to some of the comments on this thread -- thanks.

Eric

One of my apprentices, way back 18 years ago, now an exceutive chef, called me and we got to talking about among other things, buffet brunches served at her hotel. Does any of you still serve buffet brunch at your establishment? What is the current trend, if there is such a thing?  Are the classical wellingtons and coulibiacs still being served? Any suggestions on how to make an exciting, cost effective buffet brunch that's uptodate with the younger crowd?

I've always thought brunch could be a very fun, special, and exciting meal. The combination of foods, families, styles, etc -- breakfast, lunch, desserts, you name it! LOL. I've also found that sometimes it's a "lost art" so to speak.

I am looking forward to some of the comments on this thread -- thanks.

Eric

Here in Atlanta the 57th Fighter Group (Closed now) served a champagne brunch on sundays. It was classic brunch faire. Every place I've seen since does brunch ala carte. So to me thats more like "Diner Day", cause really you're just expanding the menu to cover 2 meals.

I'd like to find someplace that does a sunday Brunch Buffet, I love Raw Bars for breakfast, then an omelet and a waffle. Wash it all down with a Mimosa. Then maybe some lamb and scrambled eggs. OM NOM NOM!!!

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)
Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

We offer a weekly Sunday Brunch and Theater show at my restaurant.

The buffet has 120 items and changes every 10 weeks when the show changes.

Cold items include; fruits, veggies, potato salad, a coleslaw, a pasta salad or two, cold peel and eat shrimp, oysters, seafood salad, sushi, sashimi, caviar, cottage cheese, etc.

Hot items include: At least 2 kinds of potatoes, bacon, sausages, scrambled eggs, eggs benny, salmon, french toast, dim sum, etc. with a hip of roast beef carved at a carving station.

Then there is a huge assortment of desserts; cheese, crackers, fruits, tarts, cheesecakes, chocolate cakes, florentine cookies, etc.

So... basically it's a hodgepodge of food that tries to cater to everyone with no real coherent theme. It's set up to feed 450 people at once, so there are no fun omelette stations or anything made to order like that.

Cold  items include; fruits, veggies, potato salad, a coleslaw, a pasta salad or two, cold peel and eat shrimp, oysters, seafood salad,  sushi, sashimi, caviar, cottage cheese, etc.

Hot items include: At least 2 kinds of potatoes, bacon, sausages, scrambled eggs, eggs benny, salmon, french toast, dim sum, etc. with a hip of roast beef carved at a carving station.

Then there is a huge assortment of desserts; cheese, crackers, fruits, tarts, cheesecakes, chocolate cakes, florentine cookies, etc.

So... basically it's a hodgepodge of food that tries to cater to everyone with no real coherent theme. It's set up to feed 450 people at once, so there are no fun omelette stations or anything made to order like that.

What? No omelette stations??? Well, forget the whole thing then. LOL. Just kidding. Sounds like a nice brunch. Wouldn't the overall theme be "brunch" so to speak? I mean you have a nice variety there, some interesting items that you don't always find on a traditional brunch -- sushi, sashimi, dim sum.

Eric

Cold  items include; fruits, veggies, potato salad, a coleslaw, a pasta salad or two, cold peel and eat shrimp, oysters, seafood salad,  sushi, sashimi, caviar, cottage cheese, etc.

It's ok to give a shameless plug for your place when making me salivate.

Brunch is my favorite meal. When else is it socially acceptable to drink before noon and have a chocolatey dessert after your eggs and bacon? It *should* be acceptable every day, but alas, we live in a cruel, Puritanical world.

I had a great idea for a brunch dish the other day. For staff meal at the restaurant where I work, they made us grilled peanut butter and banana sandwiches on challah bread with some kind of butter/brown sugar mixture slathered on the bread before it went into the press-grill thingy. Yeah, they spoil us sometimes. Anyway, I think a fancier version of that sandwich served with thick-cut bacon and maybe really cold, thinly sliced pineapple would be a fantastic brunch dish.

"An appetite for destruction, but I scrape the plate."

Brunch is my favorite meal.  When else is it socially acceptable to drink before noon and have a chocolatey dessert after your eggs and bacon?  It *should* be acceptable every day, but alas, we live in a cruel, Puritanical world.

I had a great idea for a brunch dish the other day.  For staff meal at the restaurant where I work, they made us grilled peanut butter and banana sandwiches on challah bread with some kind of butter/brown sugar mixture slathered on the bread before it went into the press-grill thingy.  Yeah, they spoil us sometimes.  Anyway, I think a fancier version of that sandwich served with thick-cut bacon and maybe really cold, thinly sliced pineapple would be a fantastic brunch dish.

Whoa -- cool dish!!! Yes, my favorite meal as well. I often wondered why we can't get a Saturday brunch thing going. I've tried -- I was the trendsetter who started this movement!!! LOL.

That sounds like a killer dish there. Thick cut bacon? Oh, my mouth is watering.

Eric

There is a bar/restaurant in Pittsburgh that does Saturday as well as Sunday brunch (Harris Grill). I think more places should to this, too!

The problem with Saturday brunch is that if you have a small kitchen staff, that is a long-ass day, what with Saturday being typically the longest/hardest night of the week. If you had to do brunch and dinner on both nights, or dinner Friday, brunch Saturday, dinner Saturday, and then brunch Sunday...ouch!

"An appetite for destruction, but I scrape the plate."

I'm still waiting for you to say where your restaurant is located and the name too please :) I'm hoping you are near Atlanta.

We put a lot of time and thought into our brunches but this was a long time ago. Whenever it was available, we had a 4ft long banana branch full of hands of bananas brought in for the brunch display. We hung that near the dessert table, by the entrance and it had a great impact. We had centre pieces made with tallow and vegetable carvings and on special occasions like mother's day, we had ice carvings.

On the cold stations we had the usual old fashion salads like Russian, Waldorf, German potato salad, Pasta salads, aparagus, herring and beets, an assortment of greens and garnishes. Platters of cold poached salmon, pates, terrines, galantines(all made in house). Sliced fruits on mirrors, cheeses on marble.

We had an omelette station, stir fry or pasta station. Carved gravlax and smoked salmon station. Coullibiac, leg of ham wrapped in biscuit, roast prime rib or beef wellingtons.

Dessert tables were filled with cakes and pastry that were also made in house.

Our hotel kitchen was full of tallented indiviuals, artists! I found it sad that my friend said that none of these things I mentioned are ever put on their brunches anymore. Food and labour cost....Seems like we lost a lot of skilled people, everything is store bought now, from pastries to pates.

I did enjoy the brunch in Bangkok, Patumwan Princess. Great brunch layout. I went for the congee station with dried squid and other exotic garnishes.

Now I'm hungry!

We put a lot of time and thought into our brunches but this was a long time ago. Whenever it was available, we had a 4ft long banana branch full of hands of bananas brought in for the brunch display. We hung that near the dessert table, by the entrance and it had a great impact. We had centre pieces made with tallow and vegetable carvings and on special occasions like mother's day, we had ice carvings.

On the cold stations we had the usual old fashion salads like Russian, Waldorf, German potato salad, Pasta salads, aparagus, herring and beets, an assortment of greens and garnishes. Platters of cold poached salmon, pates, terrines, galantines(all made in house). Sliced fruits on mirrors, cheeses on marble.

We had an omelette station, stir fry or pasta station. Carved gravlax and smoked salmon station. Coullibiac, leg of ham wrapped in biscuit, roast prime rib or beef wellingtons.

Dessert tables were filled with cakes and pastry that were also made in house.

Our hotel kitchen was full of tallented indiviuals, artists! I found it sad that my friend said that none of these things I mentioned are ever put on their brunches anymore. Food and labour cost....Seems like we lost a lot of skilled people, everything is store bought now, from pastries to pates. 

I did enjoy the brunch in Bangkok, Patumwan Princess. Great brunch layout. I went for the congee station with dried squid and other exotic garnishes.

Now I'm hungry!

I'm starting to get the impression that Thailand is the new "Hot spot", not unlike Dubai. With Peter's expose on his buffet post, this post of a similar occurence, and as I recall where the Top Chef winner, Stephanie spent her time before heading to PR for the final. I guess I'll have to save up for a vacation to fill my buffet needs.

Food trends usually follows the money trail. Macau and las Vegas has tons of money and a lot of good food flows in these places.

Places in asia, such as Japan, Vietnam, Thailand and others, offer something different to the adventurous.

I'm still waiting for you to say where your restaurant is located and the name too please :) I'm hoping you are near Atlanta.

Sorry, I'm actually in Alberta, not Atlanta.... I don't feel comfortable posting the name of the restaurant online though, sorry.... If I need to vent about work I don't want my boss reading it!

If you ever come up to Canada, just PM me, and I'll give you the name :smile:

We do a fairly good brunch. I think the problem with brunch is that chefs try and complicate it. I used to love having Brunch at this place that did rack of lamb, foie gras eggs benny, lobster scrambled eggs. The only problem was, it was too pricy and out there for the brunch crowd. The restaurant I work at tried to revamp their brunch , they did an duck eggs bennedict, Tuna Croque Madamme, Braised pork belly with beans. But none of them sold. We just kept slinging eggs Benny with french Toast and cheese filled scrambled eggs. I came to a conclusion. Why fight it? I took off all the vanity items that were just going to spoil or staff meal ( Serving duck eggs for staff meal is not very cost effective.) So now the Menu is small, cheap and the customers are happy. Our dinner menu has foie gras with nutella and lobster Ice cream, but I have come to discover the institution of brunch is something not to be toyed with.

We do a fairly good brunch. I think the problem with brunch is that chefs try and complicate it. I used to love having Brunch at this place that did rack of lamb, foie gras eggs benny, lobster scrambled eggs. The only problem was, it was too pricy and out there for the brunch crowd.  The restaurant I work at tried to revamp their brunch , they did an duck eggs bennedict, Tuna Croque Madamme, Braised pork belly with beans. But none of them sold. We just kept slinging eggs Benny with french Toast and cheese filled scrambled eggs. I came to a conclusion. Why fight it? I took off all the vanity items that were just going to spoil or staff meal ( Serving duck eggs for staff meal is not very cost effective.) So now the Menu is small, cheap and the customers are happy.  Our dinner menu has foie gras with nutella and lobster Ice cream, but I have come to discover the institution of brunch is something not to be toyed with.

Your breakfasts sounds delicious.... too bad your average customer didn't want them.

Just out of curiosity, how many diners can your restaurant hold, and are you in a city with a high population and high disposable income? Just wondering if demographics has a lot to do with it.

• 1 month later...

We are doing a trial run to see if it can grow to as big as our special Sundays.

Fruit and Berry Display

Assorted Breads, Danish and Toasters

Aspargus Tart

Scrambled Eggs

Bacon, Sausage

Red Mule Grits

Will do Omlettes to order out of the kitchen

Breakfast Lasagna - Pnacakes layered with Frutis and Pastry Cream

Sun Dried Tomato Chicken Roulade

Grilled Salmon

Roasted Pork Tenderloin

Wild Rice and Grilled Veg

Assorted Desserts

SImple but it is the first non holiday time so we will see

Edited by Jakea222 (log)

Aspargus Tart

Scrambled Eggs

Bacon, Sausage

Red Mule Grits

Will do Omlettes to order out of the kitchen

Breakfast Lasagna - Pnacakes layered with Frutis and Pastry Cream

Depending on where you are, you might want some sort of potato dish on there.

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

We do a fairly good brunch. I think the problem with brunch is that chefs try and complicate it. I used to love having Brunch at this place that did rack of lamb, foie gras eggs benny, lobster scrambled eggs. The only problem was, it was too pricy and out there for the brunch crowd.  The restaurant I work at tried to revamp their brunch , they did an duck eggs bennedict, Tuna Croque Madamme, Braised pork belly with beans. But none of them sold. We just kept slinging eggs Benny with french Toast and cheese filled scrambled eggs. I came to a conclusion. Why fight it? I took off all the vanity items that were just going to spoil or staff meal ( Serving duck eggs for staff meal is not very cost effective.) So now the Menu is small, cheap and the customers are happy.  Our dinner menu has foie gras with nutella and lobster Ice cream, but I have come to discover the institution of brunch is something not to be toyed with.

Your breakfasts sounds delicious.... too bad your average customer didn't want them.

Just out of curiosity, how many diners can your restaurant hold, and are you in a city with a high population and high disposable income? Just wondering if demographics has a lot to do with it.

Is your CC open to the public?

good idea - but ruled it out because the club members eat Grits - I know - I am a yankee (anything north of Atlanta! ha) and did not understand the facination. We have Red Mule Grits - look em up - a Real Mule named LUKE grinds them and they ship them all over the world...even on our holidays potatoes are not eaten. crazy huh!