• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zassenhaus grinders, old and new

Lonnie

Now that I really have enough vacpots to keep me going for many years of inevitable breakage, I'm turning my attentions to a hand grinder. I like the idea of not using electricity when I can get a good workout in the morning instead (we've stopped using our dryer, too!), and sometimes I just don't want to make so much noise early in the morning. It appears that the Zassenhaus is really the only one I should take at all seriously. So I'm looking at old ones on eBay.

Anyone using one of these grinders? What's your experience with it? Do you have an old one or a new one? Should I take my chances on an old one and save myself some bucks? Or just spring for a new one? If I'm looking at an old one, what should I be sure to look at? What's the difference in the grinding experience between the one held between the knees and the table-top version?

Thanks for all your help!

"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all of the answers." --James Thurber

I bought an older one on eBay for $35; it was in good shape, but at least 25 years old (couldn't tell from the photos). I'm happy with it, but I use it the night before, because I can't face 2.5 min. of hard grinding in the morning. Mine is not a knee model. but that would be more comfortable to use. I get a fine grind for Chemex or Aeropress with no problem at all. Once in awhile I use it for spices if I need a fair amount , say for sausages or home curing. There isn't a lot of carry over when I do this, and the spices are really nicely turned out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've got a beechwood knee grider, and I love it. Been using it for years to make french press coffee. You grind quite coarse for the press, so it goes quickly :).

I suppose that the burrs could eventually wear out, but I'm guessing you'd be pretty safe with an old one. They're built like tanks.