• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Periodical Recipe Index

chefgregory

Ok, so I admit I'm a little obsessed with magazine, this is going to be the first time I have typed out and quanitified all the magazine I subscribe to and read on a regular basis. My intent here is to get some advice and hopefully get pointed in few direction of where I can may find a way to get a database built for these titles, with

magazine title; date/issue; list of all recipes; list of articles

I might just have to sit down and type them out to get started, what I am hoping for an electronic way to access various websites and build it completely through the web. Unfortunatly I am NOT a web programmer.

Is there a single uniform way to access all the various websites related to these magazine and build this index?

BBC Good Food

BBC Olive

BBC Delicious

Saveur

Gourmet

Bon appetite

Intermezzo

Gastronomica

The Art of eating

Art Culinaire

Food Arts

restaurant magazine

Chef

Thanks a lot!

GB

ps: any web programmers want to lend their talents to this tasks???? :smile:

I'm no programmer but I am certain that what you want to do can be done, sort of.. First not all the sites you have listed offer their recipes online, like Intermezzo.

Second, some of the site provide a search engine but not an index or their recipes. Saveur does this.

Third some redirect you to an entirely different site altogether. Bon appetite sends you to epicurious.com

What I would suggest is that you use a programming language called PHP to go search all the available sites at your favorite magazines and return the data as links on your webpage. It would still require you to go to the actual sites to view the link, but at least you would have all the available recipes listed on your page for comparison.

I do not know how to write it, but I'm sure its an achievable conception.

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)
Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

• 3 weeks later...