• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

*Slightly* passive

ngatti

"The dining experience - service and food preparation issues aside - is quite pleasant."

Err....how is this possible?

As for the first sentence...

"Although I'd never eaten at 28 Oak Street, dining there was a bit like coming home."?? I think I know what she means by the context, but still.

"The dining experience - service and food preparation issues aside - is quite pleasant."

"Although I'd never eaten at 28 Oak Street, dining there was a bit like coming home."??  I think I know what she means by the context, but still.

apparently she had shit service, mediorce food and a hefty bill at mom's house quite often.

ok, so what's your problem with *this* one?

she describes my experience there as well.

The Maine crab cake appetizer ($12) was *probably* the best dish sampled at our weekday dinner

A special lamb starter ($12) consisted of a whole loin, cooked *slightly* beyond the rare requested

Service seemed a *little* lackadaisical.

In a special snapper entrée ($28), the fish was *slightly* overcooked.

Pecan-crusted chicken breast, a signature dish created by chef-owner Lee Ganbarg ...., was also *slightly* overcooked.

The dining experience - service and food preparation issues aside - is quite pleasant.  (Huh?)

The shrimp, which were *slightly* chewy...

edit: I don't disagree with the thrust of the review. I've never been to 28 Oak (though no stranger to Lee Ganbarg or his cooking). I just think that we deserve better. YMMV

I'm *slightly* tired and am going to retire.

Nick

"Although I'd never eaten at 28 Oak Street, dining there was a bit like coming home."??  I think I know what she means by the context, but still.

apparently she had shit service, mediorce food and a hefty bill at mom's house quite often.

:biggrin:

Hello folks--quite some time ago rail paul suggested a shadow review team to act as a foil to the restaurant critics at the Bergen Record and Star Ledger. While I vaguely like the idea, I must say that the choice made to dine and post a description of my meal at 28 Oak had little to do with that suggestion. I was hungry, having slept in after a brutal weekend, and missing breakfast at Fink's for the second time in as many weeks. I realized the restaurant had been open for almost 3 years and that I haven't yet eaten there. These circumstances coupled with the facts that chef/owner Lee Ganbarg is a friend, and that the place is open on Monday prompted me to drive into Ridgewood for lunch today.

I'd like to get some light housekeeping disclaimers out of the way first:

1)I post restaurant meal decriptions as an average, but knowledgable diner, based on *one* meal as opposed to the multiple visits that professional critics use.

2)I'm usually known to the chefs and owners of the restaurants that I dine in here in Bergen County. Consequently I tend to receive a bit of extra attention paid to my tables.

3)There was no quid pro quo involving my meal at 28 Oak. But I must add that on many occasions when I dine out locally there is much proffered quid that is graciously accepted without any gratuitious quo. This was not the case here.

4)I will usually only post about local meals that I liked. I see no point in taking shots at the restaurants of people that occupy the same small pond as I do. I have few friends and I'd like to keep them. There are plenty of others here that will post opinions about bad meals and shoddy service. I leave it to them. Bad meals and bad restaurants will be noted by my loud silence regarding them.

5)Conversely, I do not shill gratuitiously for people and this includes friends. I have nothing to offer but my word on this. take it for what it's worth. It's all I have.

Lunch at 28 Oak in Ridgewood:

My wife and I stepped down through the doors of a lovely Bistro in the center of Ridgewood today. Greeted by the Chef and his wife we were seated at the front of the narrow restaurant. An oak leaf motif runs through the decor of the restaurant, settling on the upholstry and the cute lamps placed on each table. A sunny bright front room gives way to an inviting long banquette lined dining room. These being separated by an attractive brass rail.

Warm crusty rolls were delivered to the table along with ramekins of sweet butter. Lunch menus were presented and orders taken. An array of appetizers, salads, pastas, and main courses comprise the menu. there is not very much that is not touched upon. Plates going to other tables were attractively presented. No apps for my wife, but for me, the soup of the day. A bowl of Black Bean with Chipotle Aioli and Shrimp. A thin puree of black beans with strong (not harsh) chipotle flavors providing counterpoint. Very round tasting. The balance of flavors extending to the textures of crunchy red onion and soft grape tomato, the dish completed with the addition of a tender shrimp.

Main courses were next. For my wife a Sliced Steak set on a bed of nicely cooked spinach and carved carrots in a properly rich Bordelaise sauce. A well executed retro garnish of of potato croquettes complete the dish.

For me gossamer pillows of Braised Duck Ravioli with Butternut Squash. The ravioli constructed from wonton wrappers. The light and delicate wrappers act as foil to the well flavored filling and the nuanced broth. Cubes of cooked butternut squash scattered about the plate complete the understated, 'less is more' presentation.

Desserts were of the "New American Bistro" style. the requisite creme brulee, warm chocalte cake, crisps etc. My warm chocolate cake was good but didn't stand out. My wifes apple crisp on the other hand was very good and came with a crisp streusal topping that was as tasty as it was interesting. An order of cappucino completes the dish.

This was a satisfying meal. Now that business has slowed a bit, I have more opportunity to get out and sample some restaurants. I must say that after dining at many of the upscale mall based chains, that the food and service at 28 Oak is superior. The dining experince is certainly more intimate and genuinely friendly. Taken together with the excellent food, the decision to eat here becomes a no-brainer.

Being able to get out of the place for $50.00 for two (that was the price for all that was described) makes this one of the areas lunch bargains! This is a place that I feel deserves some attention. I don't think you'll be disapointed.

Thanks for listening

Nick

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I returned to 28 Oak for lunch today.

Better than ever!!

A couple of interesting dishes.

1) A Butternut squash and Apple soup. This was garnished with Pecans and blue cheese. A hot bowl with the puree ladled over the garnish. I found the blue cheese a very interesting and entirely pleasant addition. It would soften and incorporate its strong flavor as you ate the soup, providing a terrific note.

2) The special of Beef Shortribs with an incredibly luxe glace garnished with barley. A classic, classic, perfectly executed Bouef en Daube.

Now for the fun parts. Two soups, the beef , and one other appetizer as a main (no dessert): $33.00. Open on Mondays for lunch to boot.

Enjoy

Nick

Edited by ngatti (log)