• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Produce in Chicago

Has anybody had any experiences with;

http://www.freshpicks.com/cms/ ?

(aka irv & shelly's...)

I just had a really bad experience.

I gave them a credit card number and they agreed to bring farm fresh produce every week for two people for $35.00 on Thursdays.

The first week was fine--excellent strawberries, a bit too much mesclun (they called it 'field greens'), a head of nice red leaf lettuce, fine collards, what they called scallions (but were more like baby onions), etc. ( more? I don't remember).

This week I got nothing.

I found a number for the company (in Niles) and called, wondering where my order was. The woman who answered claimed to be Shelly (we all know how that goes...).

I was told that I had ordered wrongly. I checked the website and saw that I had a standing order for every Thursday. I called back and was told I had ordered wrongly--I was told I needed to specify what I wanted delivered. I told Ms. S. that I was under the impression that I had signed up for a weekly delivery of whatever was freshest, in season, available, OK?

She became rude.

She couldn't or wouldn't locate her delivery person nor 'irv' (he's on the road). She couldn't locate my order nor access her website.

Tread carefully if you're dealing with these folks.

It's a great concept but, maybe, they're in over their heads.

It's a tough business, I know, but there's no excuse for rude customer service.

Just:

don't answer the phone

don't take on more than you can handle.

Comments would be most welcome.

Pick up your phone

Think of a vegetable

Lonely at home

Call any vegetable

And the chances are good

That a vegetable will respond to you

aliaseater - I have a weekly standing order for the Fresh Picks box and I haven't had any problems like what you've encountered. I did have one drop off where I've added something to my order for the week and the instruction to 'drop box off at back door' did not get transferred to the new order, so they dropped it off at the front door but didn't pick up the old box by the back door. I wasn't charged for the old box and they just picked them both up next week. It just leads me to believe their ordering system isn't very sophisticated.

That doesn't mean that mistakes and rudeness should be expected. It is unfortunate that Shelly wasn't nicer and more helpful.

I also don't understand why if you are getting the Fresh Picks box, you would be told to order what you want. That seems like a lot of misinformation on their part.

Good luck if you continue to order from them.

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.