• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Debbie Meyer bags

mcohen

I've seen these commercials too.  A better question to me is, does anyone really want to keep fresh produce in their refrigerator for 18 days?

I have been using these bags for more than a year and they are great. Even if you don't plan to keep your produce for 18 days, the produce remains in remarkably fresh condition until you do use it. For example, there was a big sale on strawberries and although it took me nearly 2 weeks to eat through the huge quantity that I purchased, the last one was a fresh as the first one. Also, I was constantly throwing away cilantro because it would get slimy after just a couple of days in the fridge. No more!

They seem expensive until you realize that you can re-use them (for several months). Also, when they start to lose their effectiveness, I double them up and get another month or two of use out of them.

I think that there is already a thread on these under the topic "green bags".

Count me in as a big fan. I bought these bags about 4 years ago when they were only availble on QVC. I'm still using the same bags and they work great. They've even been washed numerous times and I havent noticed a decline in how long something stays fresh.

They're availble at Bed, Bath and Beyond and there is always a 20% coupon you can use. I recently bought the bread and cold cut bags but havent tried those yet.

How do they compare to simply keeping a paper towel in with the produce, to absorb the extra moisture? I was looking at these, but there's a lot of negative reviews on amazon, including ones saying that the food looks good but is still rotten on the inside?!

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

How do they compare to simply keeping a paper towel in with the produce, to absorb the extra moisture? I was looking at these, but there's a lot of negative reviews on amazon, including ones saying that the food looks good but is still rotten on the inside?!

Works better than the paper towel technique, IMHO, although I do sometimes use a paper towel inside the green bag if the produce is extremely wet.

I've never had any food become "rotten on the inside" but if I don't adequately dry my produce before putting in the bag, it doesn't last nearly as long. It states right on the green bag packaging that all produce must be dried before storage. Why don't you buy a set and see if you like them? You can buy a set of 10 bags for around $4-5, I think. I'm very confident that I have saved way more than the cost of these bags in the amount of produce that I have not had to throw out.

I used to buy those Ziploc vegetable bags before they were discontinued and they worked marginally better than the paper towel method, but these sound like a much better solution.

We still have those veggie bags in Canada. I actually used one last week w/ a paper towel and some red leaf lettuce. The lettuce is still good.