• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

En estilo Tlaquepaque

brucesw

I found one description online of a Tlaquepaque style salsa as possibly containing 4 or 5 chiles and being very hot. The lady running the taco truck advertising tacos en estilo Tlaquepaque spoke English about as well as I Spanish but she mentioned both barbacoa and lengua. When I ordered dos tacos she did not ask if I wanted either/or and possibly the meat was finely chopped barbacoa and diced lengua?, it was hard to tell. The tacos did not include cebolla y cilantro (didn't realize that until I had left) and I wasn't asked. The salsa was a dark greenish brown but not particularly hot.

Any ideas?

The same truck served a gringa, a flour tortilla with al pastor, avocado and queso and possibly some refritos, folded over and grilled like a quesadilla - very tasty. The same thing with fajita meat was called a pirata.

Yes I know Tlaquepaque is in Guadalajara, just wondering about the 'style.'

They are tacos served in the style of Tlaquepaque, a City in the Mexican State of Jalisco (Guadalajara is also a city in Jalisco). They are barbacoa tacos served with a brown salsa (served warm) that includes some of the barbacoa cooking liquid. The sauce, and particularly the cooking liquid for the barbacoa (caldo), tend to be on the hot side... even by Jaliscience standards.

Edited by fiftydollars (log)

Thank you for the information on the salsa. If she mentioned that in response to my query I didn't catch it but I did think there was broth in the salsa and it was served warm.