• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need Recipe for Navettes

Are you in this sense thinking of Navettes de Marseillaise?

Although Polly is correct that navettes are turnips there is a local sweet bread in that part of France also called Navettes.

Here's a link to a recipe. right here!

Good luck.

Navettes are turnips.

Do a search for turnip recipes and i'm sure lots will come up.

Well, navets (nahvay) are turnips.

Navettes (nahvett) are Marseille cookies made and eaten in early Spring, starting at the Chandeleur.

They are quite easy though. Basically they are unleavened or slightly leavened cookies based on, say, 3 eggs, 70 g soft unsalted butter, 280 g flour, 1 tbsp orange flower water. Some people will add a little baker's yeast or a pinch of baking powder (adding any yeast will make them navettes provençales, not navettes de Saint-Victor).

Mix all ingredients except flour, add flour gradually, mix well, spread thickly, cut into strips then roll up each strip into a long cylinder. Cut each cylinder into 7-cm lengths, pinch each navette at both ends to shape them and slit each one down the length using a sharp blade. Let rest for 3 hours at room temperature. Bake at 220 °C until golden and firm, let cool, keep in airtight jar.

Navettes may be glazed with egg wash before baking. They can also be eaten dipped into a glass of muscat.

Edited by Ptipois (log)

Since I'm in Uzès, I'd be very interested to know where you had them.  I've never heard of nor seen anything called navettes here except shuttle buses!

In the Place de Herbes??? (The square where they hold the market) there is a baker that has them.

P.S. I love your town. I stayed in Hosteliere Provencale for 3 days and loved it. It makes me want to move there!

Edited by jeffperez62 (log)

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

• 2 weeks later...

It is a baker with a shop in the square. I think the name is

Bolognere Uzetienne

Edited by jeffperez62 (log)

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??