• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

squash casserole, quick cobbler

Now that i've found a good tomato pie recipe, I was thinking about two more Southern summer staples. squash casserole and cobbler. I have several cobbler recipes that are pretty quick and easy- cuppa cuppa cuppa type things. I don't have a good squash casserole. Anyone have some particularly tasty recipes you turn to for either of these?

Squash Cornbread Casserole

2 lbs. yellowneck squash, sliced

2 onions, sliced

3 eggs (mixed)

2 cups cornbread crumbs (Pepperidge Farm or similar)

1 stick butter melted

half and half ... 1 Cup

Salt, pepper, sugar to taste ... nutmeg (dash)

Preheat oven to 350° F.

Cook squash and onions in salted water until tender; drain.

Mix melted butter, half-and-half, and spices

Line large buttered pan with the cornbread crumbs

Pour in squash mixture, egg mixture, spices ...

Bake @ 400 for 40-50 minutes until golden brown.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96683394@N00/392262274/

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

A recipe my mom has been making for 35 years uses not only yellow squash, but also zucchini, onions, carrots and basil. We always called it "Meg's Veggie Bake," though I do not have a clue who Meg is. This is not your traditional squash casserole made with Ritz crackers and cheese, but it is delicious! I use the slicing blade on the food processor to make this go much faster.

2 zucchini squash, thinly sliced

2 yellow squash, thinly sliced

1 onion, thinly sliced

2 carrots, grated

12 oz. sour cream

1 c. freshly grated parmesan

2 eggs

small handful of fresh basil leaves, chopped

1/4 c. chopped parsley

1/4 stick of butter

salt and pepper to taste.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt butter over medium heat. Saute first four ingredients until veggies are soft. Remove from heat. Stir in remaining ingredients until well combined. Pour contents into a casserole dish with a cover. Baked, covered for 45 minutes.

edited for typos

Edited by hazardnc (log)

Miss Millie's Squash Casserole

(Which was MY squash casserole, but by the time my Mother made it twice, it, like all dishes she liked, was HERS)

Serves eight to ten, depending on how many more dishes there are on the table

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxx

Slice about ten nice-sized crooknecks or zucchini. Saute a chopped onion in a

little oil, then throw in the squash and a minced clove of garlic, with a good dash of salt and pepper. Stir now and then, til it's fairly tender. I like to toss in a chopped, roasted red pepper right at the end, just for the pretty of it. Or just a little pimiento.

Smash a sleeve of Ritz crackers; melt a stick of butter in a small heavy skillet; stir in the crumbs, and stir with a flat wooden paddle as they brown to a nice nutty color. The scent will tell you when they're ready.

While the squash is sizzling, make two cups of medium bechamel---every Southern cook knows it as "white sauce," in three textures: thick, medium, and thin, the only difference being the amount of milk used. While it's still very hot, stir in a cup or two of grated cheese, any kind, especially a sharp or medium cheddar, and a couple of spoon-clops of mayo right out of the jar, along with a small squirt of French's, right out of the yellow squeezie, and about 1/2 tsp. salt.

Butter a 2-quart flat Corning Ware. Stir white sauce into squash, gently so as not to break them up. Cover the top with the buttery crumbs and bake at 350 for 20 minutes, til the proverbial.

If you're making it the night before, Saran the dish sans crumbs and refrigerate; about 30 minutes before serving, microwave, still wrapped, til steam forms on the wrap and dish feels fairly hot. Unwrap, crumb, put into oven---same temp and time.

This is Church Supper fare, or Feed-the-Preacher fare, or even send-to-your-husband's-office-potluck fare. Not that husbands need anyone else to do their cooking for them.

I just love technical cooking terms, like spoon-clops! :raz:

Edited by racheld (log)

Miss Millie's Squash Casserole

(Which was MY squash casserole, but by the time my Mother made it twice, it, like all dishes she liked, was HERS)

Serves eight to ten, depending on how many more dishes there are on the table

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxx

Slice about ten nice-sized crooknecks or zucchini.  Saute a chopped onion in a

little oil, then throw in the squash and a minced clove of garlic, with a good dash of salt and pepper.    Stir now and then, til it's fairly tender.  I like to toss in a chopped, roasted red pepper right at the end, just for the pretty of it.  Or just a little pimiento.

Smash a sleeve of Ritz crackers; melt a stick of butter in a small heavy skillet; stir in the crumbs, and stir with a flat wooden paddle as they brown to a nice nutty color.  The scent will tell you when they're ready.

While the squash is sizzling, make two cups of medium bechamel---every Southern cook knows it as "white sauce," in three textures:  thick, medium, and thin, the only difference being the amount of milk used.  While it's still very hot, stir in a cup or two of grated cheese, any kind, especially a sharp or medium cheddar, and a couple of spoon-clops of mayo right out of the jar, along with a small squirt of French's, right out of the yellow squeezie, and about 1/2 tsp. salt. 

Butter a 2-quart flat Corning Ware.  Stir white sauce into squash, gently so as not to break them up.  Cover the top with the buttery crumbs and bake at 350 for 20 minutes, til the proverbial.

If you're making it the night before, Saran the dish sans crumbs and refrigerate; about 30 minutes before serving, microwave, still wrapped, til steam forms on the wrap and dish feels fairly hot.  Unwrap, crumb, put into oven---same temp and time.

This is Church Supper fare, or Feed-the-Preacher fare, or even send-to-your-husband's-office-potluck fare.  Not that husbands need anyone else to do their cooking for them. 

I just love technical cooking terms, like spoon-clops! :raz:

OMG Racheld that's it, That's It, T H A T' S IT!!! :biggrin: That's the one I remember. Actually it sounds way better than the ones I remember (NO VELVEETA or evaporated milk :shock: ).

Now you've gone and done it since I feel the irresistable urge to make this dish this weekend in addition to the hummus, baba gannoush (sp?), potato salad, Buffalo wings, and bleu cheese dip I was already planning. I'll be totally exhausted but well fed. :smile:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!